1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More newbie questions - cos I know how you like 'em

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Edward Greatrex, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Edward Greatrex

Edward Greatrex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hello all, forgive me for being so self-serving as to post this message but if I can't get any valued comments from you bunch of experts I'm unlikely to get any elsewhere. As they don't do a "Projectors for Dummies" book yet it would be appreciated by me, and those who lurk on this forum with similar aspirations, to be as full with your answers as you deem fit.

I have a bog-standard Sony DVP NS900V DVD player which has RGB, S-Video and component out (NTSC only). Since the vast majority of my disks are region 2 PAL would I see any benefit in either way, shape or form by investing in the ProV progressive scan video converter?

If a DVD player only whacks out 500 lines, give or take, surely SVGA resolution is as much as you need to think about in a projector (albeit with some consideration to the 16:9 aspect ratio)? Or am I missing something?

Lastly I'm a little way off getting a projector (September/October time) but have been pointed in the direction of an Infocus LP 500 or it's home cinema sibling, the Infocus LS 110. While I intend to view any contenders nearer the time I'd be grateful for any opinions people may have on these already.

Thanks in advance.