1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by beng, May 8, 2002.

1. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Well, it's nearly bonus time again, the shares are doing well and so it's nearly time to indulge in some more of my wallet-crippling home cinema "hobby".

I've had a Hitachi Illumina 43 inch rear pro since November. And frankly, it's great. Since then, I've moved house and want to convert the basement into a play room (for me obviously, not the rugrats!).

So it's projector time. The basement is about 23ft by 18ft - what kind of screen size should I be looking and what kind of projector? I've got about 10K to spend and at least half of that will go on doing the room up and other HC essentials.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Please be gentle.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The professional advice is that screen size is governed by viewing distance. As a guide, the screen width = viewing distance x 2/3

so a 15 ft viewing distance would equal 10 ft screen.

You don't have to follow this rule. A smaller screen will give a brighter more 3D image, a bigger screen will be , er..., bigger;) Some think bigger is more impressive, others find it fatiguing to watch.

The range of projectors available for the home cinema enthusiast has never been greater. But which ever you choose think about setting aside some money for a good video processor. They can transform the picture quality from good to outstanding. The iScan, Quadscan, Vigatec and even a Home Theatre PC offer unique and very effect solutions in the battle for better picture quality.

Of the single lens projectors, Panasonics AE100 probably offers the most bang for your buck (pun intended;)), Sony has the well regarded HT11 and new entrants like the Infocus LS110 are coming onstream to swell the ranks of projectors with 16:9 panels.

Don't overlook 4:3 panelled products though. The Sim2 HT200DM might stretch your budget a little, but with the new Faroudja video processing onboard you won't have to add any external processors to improve picture quality.

Finally, I'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons :D and suggest you look at either new or used CRT. Coupled with a good quality 7-8ft screen and a video processor, these projectors will produce some of the most involving images you're likely to see anywhere.

Regards