1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Much Appreciated Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jediwenger, Jan 9, 2004.

1. jediwenger

jediwenger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right as I have mentioned before I am new to this Home Cinema thing and itching to get started. The thing is, as most people here know it can be quite expensive buying every thing in one go therefore I wish to do things in stages. I currently own a Sony 700v that has its own 5.1 channel output that I understand can be connected direct to some speaker packages. In the not to distant future I aim to get a Denon AVR2803 or similar AV Receiver and a decent speaker package, but have to get the car serviced, and numerous other commitments prior to the big day. Anyway I was wondering if anybody knew of a cheap speaker package that I could plug direct into the DVD player now, then use with the receiver until I get the decent speakers. These can then go with the DVD player when that gets upgraded.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Jed
    The 5.1 outputs are for the dvd players on board decoders they are not speaker terminals.What you could do is buy a receiver speaker package like the yamaha AV25 pack for 265 quid(EMPIRE DIRECT)which will sound great and is fully upgradable.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. jediwenger

jediwenger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers gonzo

I was under the impression that the DVD could be plugged directly into some speaker packages, for example Acoustic Solutions DS222 sold at argos for approx £55, not that I was going to get this particular system.
    This would allow me to have some form of surround sound some time over the weekend and then get the receiver in a couple of months time.
    If I was to get something like the system you recommended then I would have the devils own job convincing she who must be obeyed that another receiver upgrade would be required. Therefore if I cant get a set of speakers to plug directly into the DVD player that can then be used with the receiver when that arrives then I will have to wait until I have saved sufficient funds to get all elements in one go.
    I would also rather wait until I can get a very good system (this is what I did with my separates system years ago) as I intend to become a home owner sometime this year and when that happens I don't think I will be allowed anywhere near an expensive system, it will be Goodmans all the way (no offence meant).

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Jed
    The acoustic solutions package has built in amplification,you would connect your dvd player to the subs amp which would then receive the decoded info from your dvd player so in effect it would work with this sort of package,dont know how it would sound but you could always take it back to argos under there 14 day money back guarentee.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

5. jediwenger

jediwenger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers again gonzo

Now this is where I may come across as a complete nincompoop. Will the speaker package of the type I suggested be compatible with a receiver when that is bought until a decent speaker package is obtained or should I just wait the extra month or so and get the receiver and speakers together?
    You see the problem is I am one of the most impatient ******* around and when I decide I want something I have to have it now.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Jed
    If it were my money i would wait, When youve got enough funds re-post and iam sure you will get plenty of help from forum members.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    PS the speakers in these packages would be next to useless on a AVamp.