More monoblocks or new speakers?

BrianPK

I have a Primare CD20.1 with an original Audiolab 8000Q pre amp and 2 X Tag McLaren 125Ms and Mission 752 Freedom speakers. I regularly see original Audiolab 8000M or MX mono blocks for sale on eBay for approx. £600+ and have often wondered if I would achieve even better sound if drove my speakers with 4 mono blocks.But I'm also thinking that a better set of speakers would be the the correct way to go. Any advice?

tim_bissell

I noticed a significant improvement in bi-amping my speakers; indeed I even noticed a small improvement going from (2x8000M + 2x125M) to 4x125M.
That was(is) with my ATC SCM40s, which do need a bit of juice to get going, so it may depend on the characteristics of your speakers (I've not heard the Missions)

I don't think the difference was as big as my move from my (very good) Rogers LS7 to the (excellent) SCM40, but then the price increase was not as great. I would guess it would depend a lot on the potential speaker upgrade; bigger cabinets/woofers plus the fabulous ATC midrange driver made a big difference in my case.

I am currently comparing a TAG 100x5:7 tri-amping each speaker against my 4x125M biamping; different, but I haven't got a handle on the differences yet as I am not doing an A/B with the same preamp... if I do end up going for the multi-channel amp, two 125Ms may be for sale :smashin: but this may take some time!

Maybe not a lot of help, but at least it is some information!

-- Tim

Kevinc

So my rule of thumb is get as much power on the speaker as possible, especially for tougher speakers to drive (those with nasty dips in their impedance curves)... So if your choice is between using one mono 250wpc amp onto a speaker or bi-amping it with two 125wpc amps (all same make/quality), I believe you will find the single 250w always sounds better - simplistically it has the power to meet the demands of any of the drivers that needs it with ease relative to a 125w amp. Of course if you have two 250wpc amps to bi-amp, that will sound better still, but not as good as one 500wpc... If you want proof just try this out on B&Ws like the 802s and 800s (which all have nasty nasty power demanding impedance curves). So in short, I would suggest before you try more and more multi-amps you give some 250wpc or 500wpc monoblocs a go and see whether that sounds better. Would probably be cheaper too - used Bryston amps with 20 year warranties are usually good value on eBay over here in the USA.

jonathanh

Novice Member
Brian,

I would up grade speakers first (although I don't know the Missions), then go for the most power full amps you can afford as suggest by Kevin C, next bi amp.

There have been several threads similar to this already (I'm not sure how to add link)

I have a pair of Celestion Kingston speakers that I'm very happy with. I've gone from a pair of Audiolab (old UK) 8000M to bi amping with the 8000M's and pair of 8000MX to the MX with Tag Mclaren 125Ms to a 100Rx4 (then multi channel) and now a pair of 250MRs - each time there was a noticeable difference.

If you are interested I've just posted a sale of Tag Mclaren 100Rx4, pair of 125Ms and 100P in classified:)

regards,

Jonathan

BrianPK

Jonathan,we've just crossed posts and I've just offered you your asking price for the 125Ms in the classifieds, before seeing this post:D I hear what you are saying about the speakers but I am,in fact, caught for space in my living room and I would only reluctantly go for better (larger? ) speakers.

I also appreciate what Tim and Kevin are saying but at the moment I feel a little more comfortable going for the extra pair of 125Ms rather than changing speakers or flogging my current 125Ms and aiming for the very desirable but substantially more expensive 250MRs.

Regards
Brian

Last edited:

tim_bissell

Brian,

I doubt you'll regret the extra 125Ms, especially at those prices! Bryston and Krell amplifiers may be great value in the US, but over here they're significantly more expensive than TMA kit, and their sheer size can be overwhelming in British homes.

-- Tim

BrianPK

My well deserved and very welcome early Christmas present in the shape of my 2x 125Ms arrived on Thursday morning:). To celebrate I had one of my favourite pieces lined up, namely Schumann's Symphony no.4. I repeatedly played it over the past few days to see if I would hear an improvement when I added the extra monoblocs. I'm full of self congratulations at the moment because of the noticeable improvement. There has been an immediate tightening of the sound due to the extra grip. The music is played with more authority and sounds faster leading to greater excitement and consequently more involvement and enjoyment.I'm really pleased with myself:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom