• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

More money than knowledge, please help!

J

Jess.

We were robbed over Xmas and as a result have £1300 to spend in sevenoaks to get a amp, cd player, DAB tuner and interconnects. We are replacing Rotels which we liked so will probably go with RA06/RCD06 or similar unless you all think this is a BAD plan?

They left the speakers (and turntable, philistines!) which are JPW sonatas. If there's any change ;) do you recommend higher quality interconnects or new speakers?

Please help I actually don't know my amp from my elbow!!:D

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
The fact that the thieves left your speakers behind means they knew exactly what to take and what to leave, I would definitely get new speakers.

For £1300 there are lots of options you could go for. If you liked the Rotel kit I would have a listen to the following:

Rotel RA-05: £296 (Sale Price)
Rotel RCD-06: £296 (Sale Price)
Rotel RT-06: £339(Sale Price)
Kef iQ5SE: £399 (not in sale)

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Arcam Solo £999,
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, £55
Interconnects £50

£200 towards a new set of speakers!

J

Jess.

Thanks! I'm guessing our old speakers are naff then eh?

To be honest don't think the thieves were up to that level of discrimination since they left lots of other, more easily shifted stuff like dvds and so on.

Interesting idea about the Arcam, though think my partner might need a bit of persuading that it is just as good as seperate Rotel units.... which I have heard that it is!

if you like the rotel stuff I'd get an

RA 04 or RA 06 if you have the funds.

RCD - 06 cd player

B&W 685's

and the rest on cable/interconnects.

The rotel b&w combo works superbly together and the 685's are amazing speakers for the money. If you really want floorstanders then look at the 684's although I would partner this with the 06 amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom