More Marx Brothers coming to BD

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the remaining Marx Brothers films are starting to hit 1080p. Coming in December.

12180.jpg

ClassicFlix: A Night in Casablanca Detailed for Blu-ray

A day at the races wouid be nice on bluray
It's absolutely side splitting at times. The film gets even better when you skip the pointless musical interlude.
It's their finest work in my view. And their last work that was truly outstanding

I think of the films yet to see a BD release A Night in Casablanca is the weakest. I'd have been happier to see a release of any of the remaining but it they were to release just two then it would have to be A Night at The Opera and A Day at the Races.

I'm kind of undecided on their films. I hate the musical bits and didn't get the humour when I saw them as a kid. I've seen some really funny bits as an adult but can't remember which films they were from. Which of their films should I watch to see the best of them?

Bri

I'm kind of undecided on their films. I hate the musical bits and didn't get the humour when I saw them as a kid. I've seen some really funny bits as an adult but can't remember which films they were from. Which of their films should I watch to see the best of them?

Bri

Duck Soup, Horse Feathers, Animal Crackers or Day at the Races would be my choices for the first few out of the gate, but you'll only find a few on BD.

Edit - Arrow did Duck Soup and Animal Crackers so get those first.

Bri
I didn't like them as a kid either, but as an adult have found them hilarious. Arrow Video have a release of Duck Soup on BD as well as Monkey Business together with Horse Feathers; these are the pick of the bunch of those already on BD. If you don't like these then I doubt you'll enjoy the rest, Duck Soup is considered their best work and the other two are really good as well.

I would usually always recommend the Blu-Ray over the DVD for any release, but does this necessarily apply here?

I mean, compare these two for price:

Amazon product ASIN B005HDZDAW
Amazon product ASIN B01KHJKAKS
Yes, you get an extra film with the Blu-Ray collection, but the DVD is under £10 whilst the Blu-Ray is closer to £50!

Can anyone please point out the justification of spending so much extra? Do you really see and hear the difference compared to SD?

I would usually always recommend the Blu-Ray over the DVD for any release, but does this necessarily apply here?

I mean, compare these two for price:

Amazon product ASIN B005HDZDAW
Amazon product ASIN B01KHJKAKS
Yes, you get an extra film with the Blu-Ray collection, but the DVD is under £10 whilst the Blu-Ray is closer to £50!

Can anyone please point out the justification of spending so much extra? Do you really see and hear the difference compared to SD?
It depends if you want to watch them in the best possible home format. I actually spent £55 importing that BD boxset and had no regrets; that is until Arrow released all five films 8 months later. I'm planning on spending even more money getting the Arrow releases at some point when they go on sale.

It depends if you want to watch them in the best possible home format. I actually spent £55 importing that BD boxset and had no regrets; that is until Arrow released all five films 8 months later. I'm planning on spending even more money getting the Arrow releases at some point when they go on sale.
So have you directly compared them to the DVD's?

If not, how do they look and sound as Blu-Ray's in their own right? Has there been any restoration or is Arrow the only way to go?

Thanks!

So have you directly compared them to the DVD's?
I didn't do a side by side comparison but the comparisons on this website convinced me to upgrade:

Duck Soup

Horse Feathers

Horse Feathers and The Cocoanuts have some print damage and some scenes are soft but still have better pq than the dvds. The other titles have little or no damage and are consistent in their pq.
If not, how do they look and sound as Blu-Ray's in their own right? Has there been any restoration or is Arrow the only way to go?

Thanks!
I think the BDs are better than the DVDs by a longshot, they've been restored although they've not managed to do a pristine job for the two films mentioned above. The Arrow discs use the same transfer and they have a couple of extras not found on the US set. However the only reason I want the Arrow discs is because I don't like the US packaging.

Another title on the way thanks to Warner Archives. Not one of their best but a lot better than A Night in Casablanca

Opera.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom