1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Mains Cable Fun!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Jase, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Over the last week or so I´ve been running a couple of mains cables bought from both Gordon (his Umbilical) and Mark Grant. Groundy summed up Gordon´s cable in his review and I also posted some results in a thread in the Amps Forum. Gordon´s lead is on my dvd player and Mark´s leads are on my CD player and Satellite Receiver.

Both of Mark´s cables are Fig 8 type so no direct comparison to Gordon´s yet (Mark´s Wattgate arrived this morning so I´ll be testing that out today & tomorrow!:D ).

Soon as I plugged the cable into the Satellite receiver, there was a difference, better definition and the image was less pixelly (need all the help I can get as we are way off the Astra Footprint for some channels like ITV, C4) with less noise in the picture. Audio is improved also, with better seperation & the cable makes the little details easier to pick out.

Onto the CD player and the same thing, better seperation, more detail being revealed, bass was slightly tighter, but vocals are now clearer.

Have to say Mark finishes his cables superbly, very well put together and professional looking. The Wattgate that dropped thru the post this morning (very well packed!) really does look the business.

All in all, well impressed and can quite happily eat my hat as I was a bit sceptical about the claimed differences that mains cables make.:lesson:

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has anybody tried double-blind testing of a particular component using different mains cables?

MuFu.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Won't that spoil the "magic"?

:) :)

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
  5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oooh, do tell!! :p :p ;)

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is a secret but just sound engineering is involved

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Spent all afternoon yesterday (6/7 hours!) testing out Mark's IEC cable. This is another cable that everyone should get their hands on as it really is excellent.

I tested this on my dvd player and the image was superb, solid images with excellent colour seperation and vibrancy.

Onto the audio side of things for CD's. The vocals had excellent clarity with plenty of details being picked up on in the background on certain tracks, the little percussion instruments and noises etc. Initially I thought the bass was less but after consistent testing, it's actually really tight and well controlled.

It was the same for the audio on dvd's, vocals were really clear, soundstage was excellent, little details being revealed in the back ground. Bass was tight and controlled. Great stuff.

It's certainly worth checking out one of these cables and doing your own testing as to me, my ears on my system it sounded great.:)

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jase whet my appetite for one of Mark's mains cables a week or so ago and I instantly ordered one up. I bought one of the Fig.8 variety and hooked it up to my Sky Digital box. Instant improvement in picture definition - most noticable with on-screen graphics and low bitrate channels. Less tizz and increased vibrancy all round - it was like I just cleaned the screen. Sound was better placed and tighter. Build quality is first-rate and this is a highly recommended upgrade for very little cash :smashin:. I look forward to trying the IEC Mains version.

9. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Totally agree with Groundy's description of the increased picture performance on Sky box.

Adzman

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Just have to add that the IEC is Mark's latest incarnation and uses different cable to his previous versions. Got another "tweaked version" coming soon so look forward to checking that out.:)