More light....

bl0ckev

Prominent Member
Reaction score
OK so I went for a walk Saturday afternoon, and for the first time took the SLR, it was around 3ish so not dark yet but not midday either.

The photos I seem to have ended up with are rather dark... the sky seems light and bright enough.

I had the camera set to landscape mode hoping it would do the job, maybe this is where I went wrong ?!?!

examples attached.... the second is the first after I attempted to use paint.net to brighten it.

Attachments

• DSC00060.jpg
    DSC00060.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00060alt.jpg
    DSC00060alt.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00067.jpg
    DSC00067.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00075.jpg
    DSC00075.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 64
the problem (well not really a problem) is range in the scene.

take the 3rd shot for example,

you have the sky, which is very bright and its exposed great, no blown highlights and plenty of colour.

then you have the faces of the building being hit by the sun which are less exposed than the sky but still fine

then you have the areas cast in shadows which is how the scene looks to the eye only far more exaderated due to a camera having much less range.

to get around this problem you could expose for different areas of the photo and merge the correctly exposed areas to create one image (HDR) for best results you should have your camera completely still, a tripod works good here.

but by looking at the photos i think you would get away with a single exposure and some PP like you have done.

try bracketing your exposure, use AEB or do it maually by 1 or 2 stops then editing as you did before and i think you should get an image much more to your liking.

What was your metering mode set to ? - might have been spot metering - perhaps matrix or center-weighted would have given better "single shot" results...

Jim

try bracketing your exposure, use AEB or do it maually by 1 or 2 stops then editing as you did before and i think you should get an image much more to your liking.

What do you mean?:blush:

What was your metering mode set to ? - might have been spot metering - perhaps matrix or center-weighted would have given better "single shot" results...
Jim

I do not know what mode....... :blush:

Have you tried having a go with a free trial of something like lightroom 3 in order to tweak your photos after the fact?

It's very simple but may make take a little learning but you have things like graduated filters for making the sky darker or the rest lighter, you can bring out detail lost in white areas or brighten the shadow areas just with simple to use sliders.

I fiddled with your photo for about a min and got this.

Attachments

• DSC00060 (2).jpg
    DSC00060 (2).jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 57
Have you tried having a go with a free trial of something like lightroom 3 in order to tweak your photos after the fact?

It's very simple but may make take a little learning but you have things like graduated filters for making the sky darker or the rest lighter, you can bring out detail lost in white areas or brighten the shadow areas just with simple to use sliders.

I fiddled with your photo for about a min and got this.

Not bad.... I will take a look at lightroom 3 :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom