More lg rz42px11 connection questions...

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by jpfrost, Apr 29, 2005.

1. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased two Profigold Scart to scart cables with the intention of connectin both my ntl box and DVD player to the plasma. I have recently discovered that only AV1 is RGB so I think the scart connection from the DVD to AV2 will not be as good. Would a Scart to s-video for the DVD be just as good quality as Scart to AV1? If so I could exchange the cable for a quality S-Video one.

(PS. My DVD player does not have component outputs)

2. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ive just got my DVD player scarted through my sky+ box (not sure if ntl has two scarts) and I dont loose any quality at all. AV2 +3 are naff stay clear of them. now and again Ill use my PS2 to play dvds using the component lead I bought. This give slightly better results than scarting through sky. Not sure about the S-video though I have used that connection as yet.

3. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    NTL does have 2 scarts so you could use that.

4. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTL does have two scarts but they are both outputs. The second one (labelled VCR) I believe does not output RGB anyway. So my orignal question still stands: Would a Scart to s-video for the DVD be just as good quality as Scart to AV1? If so I could exchange the cable for a quality S-Video one?

5. zorg

zorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was under the impression s-video was not as good a connection as rgb scart.

i could be wrong, i read it in the lg (massive thread) about a dozen or so pages in.

zorg

6. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Many believe s-video is not as good as RGB scart and I would tend to agree. I would say connect the NTL box to the non-RGB scart and DVD to the RGB scart - assuming the DVD player supports RGB scart. This is working the on the assumption that the quality of signal coming from the DVD is a lot better that the NTL box and therefore you won't loose as much Picture Quality. Not an ideal scenario but perhaps the best option available to you.

7. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    You would be better using a DVD players component connection as this would give you the best results but as you don't have this you will need to get a scart to S-video if your DVD player supports s-video.

As a rule of thumb the quality of the output depends on the connection you use, as follows, with the worst first:

Composite video
    S-video
    RGB
    Component
    Dvi
    HDMI

I would personally buy a new DVD player with component or better a Dvi output like the Samsung or denon!

If your strapped for cash, Toshiba do excellent 5 star DVD players for around £50 that have Component.

Hope that helps! :)

8. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately he does not have a component DVD.
    Probably the cheapest method if you want to keep scart is to get a scart splitter that supports RGB (preferably auto switching so you don't have to keep getting up to switch it). I think that Argos do a three way one for about £25 or I'm sure Maplins could help you out with a two way switching one.

It's probably worth switching your current setup around a bit first. Try NTL on AV1 for a day, then try it on AV2 for a day. Watch a DVD on AV1, then try AV2. See if you notice a difference. If you do then either go for scart splitter, or go the S-video route for your DVD (but make sure it outputs svideo first).