1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More iPod diskspace than pc diskspace

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by nickw22000, May 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. nickw22000

nickw22000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My pc only has 11 gb of hard disk capacity, pitifiul compared to my 40gb iPod. I have most of my music on cd anyway, and only rarely download, so I don't need to keep it on my pc, except for transferring it to my iPod.

The trouble is, if I erase music from my pc (so that I have capacity to add more music), the next time I connect pc to iPod, the update will delete everything from the iPod that isn't on the pc. I have played with checking and unchecking the pc library listings, and varying the degree of manual and automatic transfer control, but have only succeeded in erasing some to all of the music on the iPod. I am currently transferring the entire collection back onto iPod, which, iTunes helpfully tells me will take 5.9 days.

Does anyone know a way of telling the iPod or pc to leave everything on the iPod and just add the new stuff? I have searched the manual and the Apple FAQs without success.

Thanks

2. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Do what I did mate buy an external disk drive. Mines is a firewire Lacie with 80gb and it cost 70 quid.

3. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah external hard drives are quite cheap atm and they are very useful lots of things [not just music]

4. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    cant remeber the exact details but right click the ipod and in itunes and look at the properties you can switch off the auto sync, I have used this to transfer my mp3s to a mates ipod and told him to do the same on his.

5. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Open up iTunes and have the iPod in the docking cradle.
    Go to
    Edit/Preferences and a dialogue box will open
    in the dialogue box god to
    ipod/music
    Ensure that the 'automatically update all songs..' radio button is unchecked and check the 'manually manage...' radio button.
    This will instruct the iPod/iTunes not to automatically synch and copy or delete songs from either. You can then load the songs onto your hard drive, manually copy to the iPod and then delete them from the pc hard drive to load more. Equally you can delete songs from the iPod and they will not be deleted from the pc.
    As has previously been said, if you have a PC and are running XP adding a larger hard drive to your computer is a no brainer and very coste effective.