1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More iPod-biased journalism

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening Standard review of the new Creative Zen Sleek - anyone catch it yesterday evening? Let me paraphrase:

... oh dear ... it's not an iPod ... chunkier than an iPod ... can't use iTunes (so, not an iPod, then?) ... would be better if it was an iPod ...

And on, and on, and on ...

2. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pathetic, if you said MP3 player to most people now-a-days they wouldnt know what you meant....wheras if you said iPod then it would be a completly different matter

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    the power of martketing!

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    So none of you Sony HD5 users "hoover" the carpet or listen to "tannoy" announcements then ;)
    Edit - And let's not forget the generic term Walkman !

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really the point of the thread, John. It's just that the media seem to be unwilling to give anything a chance that's not housed in white plastic, syncs effortlessly with iTunes and sports an Apple logo. It's the short-sightedness of their attitude that annoys, not their use of the generic term 'iPod', with which I and others are learning to live :)

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    My point is that for some reason Sony owners don't seem to be able to accept the fact that the iPod was the first one there and so all others will be compared to that. There is very much a shortsightedness by people who are in what I call the "Any Brand But Apple" camp - the ABBA brigade seem to hunt down stories like this so they can use it as more ammunition to support their own personal choice of player perhaps ? Come on everyone, live with it, I just use my iPod for the intended use, I don't spend ages comparing it with other players that I've never listened to and don't care how many people own one. It all seems rather childish to me to indulge in name calling of a rival brand.
    This thread seemed like the convenient place to have my own personal little rant :)

7. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an owner of an iPod, I wouldn't give a chance to any other mp3 player that didn't sync effortlessly with iTunes, or have such a pleasing interface. I am delighted with my iPod, and I see little room for improvement (perhaps the battery should be easier to change, but it doesn't bother me unduly).

Maybe you just bought the wrong mp3 player? It's just possible that some people prefer iPods to whatever it is that you're using...

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more, actually - and nice rant, btw :thumbsup:

I think what I object to (and yes, I'm no fan of Apple or iPod), is not the comparison to the iPod, as much as the apparent rubbishing of everything OTHER THAN iPod! I personally thank Apple for their masterstroke, even though I'd never own or use an iPod (and yes, I have experienced one and found it largely disagreeable) - well, not unless some MAJOR improvements are made. Apple made the DAP market possible; aren't we all grateful for this? But when Bill-Gates-hating journos turn automatically and lemming-like on everything not even remotely LIKE an iPod (no matter how good the product in question), I feel my hackles rising ...

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It's hilarious to see that sequence of responses coming from an iPodbasher.

The Sleek is what the Touch should have been to create an impact on the market. Or it should be a lot cheaper. They've kind of missed the boat with it as far as the market's concerned.

10. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I work in currys and the amount of parents i get coming in saying

"We want an iPod" is unbelieavable. They normally just want an mp3 player but dont know what one is, or believe the iPod is the only mp3 player

"Whats the difference between and ipod and an mp3 player".. i cringe when they say that, i'm dreading christmas time

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bash iPods because I think there's vast room for improvement with them, and because Apple are every bit as lazy as many manufacturers when it comes to making changes customers want. I'd bash the HD5 equally as hard and for the same reasons if I wasn't so attached to gapless playback, long battery life, great (IMO) sound quality ... blah, blah, blah ...

Glad I amused you, though :D

12. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apple dont make the changes, beacuse they dont need to! There are enough people willing to buy their product just because its an iPod so they are not botherd. They dont have to make it the best around to compete with any other machine beacuse in most peoples eyes it is already deemed the best

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Precisely. It's pure business economics.

14. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Look, all this arguing is bloody stupid.

I don't hate the iPod especially, I think its a substandard piece of equipment that is well overdue for a major overhaul. I think Apple have done a great of marketing it too, and thats why its such a success.

What annoys the merry hell out of me, is the fact that people are stupid. And this is annoying in all areas of electronics. Why go out an buy an iPod when it might not suit your needs? Because they are too stupid and lazy to research the subject and find out about what would be the best product.

It also pisses me off that Apple are once again empire building. I find their locked of attituide throughly annoying. Basically, if you buy an iPod, you use itunes and you buy music from their music store, and then you buy another iPod, and another and another. Its skilled from their perspective, but their stupid propriatry systems just really annoy me. I want to be able to CHOOSE my music store based on its merrits. For me iTMS does not suit my needs. There is no decent electronic music on there, and so I won't buy from them. Its also overpriced nonsense.

And finally to the point. This "iPod" journalism is retarded. It never takes into account the fact that the ipod is now a five year old device that is behind other companies in terms of features, battery life and looks. Its all about the fact that those stupid white earbuds have somehow become a fashion accessory.

I may love my Sony HD5, but I only bought it because iRiver dragged their heels over the 20gb H10.

Oh, and the biggest issue for me about the iPod is that moron Steve Jobs. I hate that guy with a passion and I'd rather live in a cave than give him my money.

15. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    All this talk of how good itunes is, it's pretty irrelevant to most people.

It's Apple all over, really. All-singing, all-dancing, and can do thousands of 'useful' things most people don't want.

Most people want to take a CD, rip it onto their computer, then drag & drop it onto their mp3 player. End of story.

I really don't use computers much, apart from the internet & good old Microsoft Word. But the software that comes my Creative does everything I want it to with ease, even for a computer idiot like me.

All those + points for the ipod are almost irrelevant to most people. I've said it before and I'll say it again, sit with an ipod in one hand and a Zen Touch in the other, and you'll certainly say the ipod is a bit smaller & lighter.

But use an ipod for a week and a Touch for the folowing week, and you won't complain about some brick in your pocket. In real life situations the difference simply isn't that great.

Steve W

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I'm not as determined as you on that last point (caves are dank, y'know?), I broadly agree. Just wish the general public (one end of the spectrum), and the technically knowledgeable (other end) would realise that whatever its past/current merits, it's time for the iPod to move on. It's also time for the hacks to get over their anti-Microsoft anxieties (so last century) and just accept that there ARE other players out there worth giving a fair crack of the whip, and these DON'T have to be compared to the iPod just because their editors think this is what people want to hear. Three years ago, perhaps, but no longer.

17. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've only heard good things about the creative software.

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's okay. But I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I prefer iTunes or SonicStage ...

19. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wow! To say you prefer SS to anything at all says a lot ;)

20. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Funny when I want to burn a cd I put it in the computer, I tunes automatically starts and I press the key to import.
    This music is then saved in my library and when I next plug in my i-pod the music is on my i-pod.

What is so difficult about that.

I have listened to a touch (borrowed a friends) and sound wise it was ok but it wasnt very easy to use like the i-pod. However I have no ideal what the software is like for this.

21. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Creative MediaSource is fine once you're used to it (like SonicStage, really). But SS has a more immediate, logical feel to its most basic functionality, which I kinda like.

22. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree, importing is simple and if you do it in mp3 you can use it on other dap players.

23. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, normally I have to spend about 30 minutes correcting the track names where iTunes has got the wrong data from CDDB. This doesn't happen with other apps.

24. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does with SonicStage - uses Gracenote like iTunes! I have the same problem.

But, I feel we've strayed a bit off topic, no ..?

25. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Back to the topic,

i work part time in Currys and lately (last few months) other than the popular question of

"Which is better? Plasma or LCD?",

The number 1 question has to be.......

"What is the diffence between an MP3 player and an Ipod???" :suicide:

26. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a problem with Joe Public not knowing the difference between iPod and MP3 - though I imagine it's hell for you, Hughesy, having to repeat yourself over and over! But the inextricable link between the two is partly to be blamed on the media.

There was a difference with Walkman. Tape cassettes existed before personal stereos. CDs were generally out and about before Discmans, as I believe they were briefly known. But iPod and MP3 (or digitally compressed music in general) has APPEARED to those not in the know to have come about at the same time. So when hacks bang on about iPod and its ability to playback MP3, this link between them is constantly being reinforced. Yet another reason contributing to Apple's success.

Actually, how do I go about buying Apple shares ..?

27. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The walkman thing is over stated. Most people called them personal stereos.

28. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? You got the names and addresses of those four people, then? Everyone I ever met used the generic term 'Walkman' ...

29. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm serious. I had a panasonic tape player, never once called it a walkman. Most people didn't. But that was a long time ago!

30. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm almost speechless! Whereabouts in the world do you live? Down across the South of England, I think I only ever heard my grandparents refer to my Walkman (an actual Sony one) as, 'a portable cassette player'. I'm amazed this term didn't enter your local lexicon as all-pervadingly as it did mine.