• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

more IOS 5 installation problems

itcosthowmuch

Hi guys, desperately looking for some assistance with this darned IOS 5 update on my first gen ipad:

The ipad has been backed up and I've tried doing the update via itunes (I'm using itunes 10.5 for 64 bit windows 7 OS) but keep getting failings due to error code 3259. Did some reading of similar issues and have disabled Mcafee firewall and real time scanning, though this made no difference and have checked windows firewall is off as well.

I also did a manual download of the update file and tried installing by doing 'shift+update' to install the file directly from my downloads folder, which then extracts the file but fails and gives error code 3259.

I've tried doing the update at various times of the day to avoid busy server times and am now at my wits end:mad:

One final thing I tried was going into msconfig of Windows 7 and disabled all services but as soon as I disable them a few start up once more (some Windows but most importantly the 4 following McAfee ones: Personal Firewall Service; McShield; Firewall Core Service & Validation Trust Protection. This last item makes me think the problem is my end somewhere involving the firewall (I've also tried creating a rule to allow itunes full access inbound and outbound). Anyone got any ideas please......though I'm now thinking I may be better off posting this within the computer section!

Cheers for reading

M:suicide:

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Not a Windows user so can't comment directly but the chances are your firewall is the problem, although you've excepted iTunes, as part of the update process iTunes accesses a different "registration" server before the install can progress (this was the service that was overloaded when iOS5 was released). I suspect the problem is iTunes is dialling Akamai or other address rather than its own domains and the firewall is preventing it.

Mad Mike

FYI I have updated two iPAD2s successfully via the standard iTunes method on two different PCs running both with McAfee installed (virusScan & Firewall running). One PC is Win7 64-bit OS, the other is XP 32-bit.

I never had any McAfee or firewall issues, other than on one PC I noticed the update was being slowed down by a McAfee disk scan that had started (which I then cancelled).

I presume that you have made sure you have the latest iTune version and have connected your iPad with a direct USB cable i.e. not connected it through a hub or your monitor (which apparently gives problems).

itcosthowmuch

FYI I have updated two iPAD2s successfully via the standard iTunes method on two different PCs running both with McAfee installed (virusScan & Firewall running). One PC is Win7 64-bit OS, the other is XP 32-bit.

I never had any McAfee or firewall issues, other than on one PC I noticed the update was being slowed down by a McAfee disk scan that had started (which I then cancelled).

I presume that you have made sure you have the latest iTune version and have connected your iPad with a direct USB cable i.e. not connected it through a hub or your monitor (which apparently gives problems).

Yep downloaded the latest version of itunes onto pc, mind you I couldn't do this via the itunes update either and had to do it via a download from apple direct:rolleyes: And ipad is plugged directly into the pc and not via a hub.

next010

Distinguished Member
A few general things to try.

Flushing the DNS cache
* Go to the Start menu and click on “Run”
* In the “Run” box, type in ‘command.com'
* When the DOS prompt appears, type in ‘ipconfig /flushdns' and hit return
* If the command has run properly, you'll see a message saying DNS Resolving Cache has been flushed
* You can now close the command.com prompt window

After that when the iPad is plugged into the PC go into the device manager and look around for the Apple USB driver then uninstall it. Unplug the iPad, then re-connect to the computer and it should re-install the driver. Apple's 64-bit support is very flaky.

In iTunes go to Help-> Run Diagnostics and uncheck network/CD tests leave the other two and run the tests.

Try updating the iPad again now.

itcosthowmuch

A few general things to try.

Flushing the DNS cache
* Go to the Start menu and click on “Run”
* In the “Run” box, type in ‘command.com’
* When the DOS prompt appears, type in ‘ipconfig /flushdns’ and hit return
* If the command has run properly, you’ll see a message saying DNS Resolving Cache has been flushed
* You can now close the command.com prompt window

After that when the iPad is plugged into the PC go into the device manager and look around for the Apple USB driver then uninstall it. Unplug the iPad, then re-connect to the computer and it should re-install the driver. Apple's 64-bit support is very flaky.

In iTunes go to Help-> Run Diagnostics and uncheck network/CD tests leave the other two and run the tests.

Try updating the iPad again now.

Finally managed to do the update but only via an old laptop I dug out which had no antivirus/firewall installed. I'm almost certain my problem lie with McAfee and the inability to completely turn the program off.

thanks for the info anyhow, have made a note of what you said and will most likely have to try that at my next update:rolleyes:

peebly

Finally managed to do the update but only via an old laptop I dug out which had no antivirus/firewall installed. I'm almost certain my problem lie with McAfee and the inability to completely turn the program off.

thanks for the info anyhow, have made a note of what you said and will most likely have to try that at my next update:rolleyes:

Next time you won't need your computer, iOS 5 has its own update function and can download any future updates direct to your iPad.

PC free

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom