More info on 360 HD-DVD Drive

Nic Rhodes said:
£139 in my bet.

139 is very possible. That would be a $200 player converted to pounds with the same conversion as they did for the 360. ie $400 = 279 pounds. That would still keep the premium 360 + HD-DVD add on under the expected PS3 price of 425 but not by much.

My guess is 129.99 to keep it comftably cheaper than the PS3 but your bet is just as likely.

Funny - adding the 360 to the HD-DVD price makes the PS3 price seem suddenly perfectly acceptable.
Unless they reduce the 360 price too which is very likely.

tryingtimes said:
Funny - adding the 360 to the HD-DVD price makes the PS3 price seem suddenly perfectly acceptable.

Yup and if you take into account the PS3's 60GB HD, internal WI-FI, Blu-Ray drive etc, the PS3 looks like a bargain in comparison to the 360 with all the add ons!

An interesting statistic was published by Amir the other day, something like 65% (from memory) of X Box 360 owners have HD displays already. I suspect that pre 360 days then this number would be MUCH closer to zero. This bodes really well for this add on. PS3 will probably have to start from a much lower figure of HD display owners, I would expect.

Never thought of the PS3 as a bargain before ;)

Nic Rhodes said:
An interesting statistic was published by Amir the other day, something like 65% (from memory) of X Box 360 owners have HD displays already. I suspect that pre 360 days then this number would be MUCH closer to zero. This bodes really well for this add on. PS3 will probably have to start from a much lower figure of HD display owners, I would expect.

Never thought of the PS3 as a bargain before ;)

lol... thats because you fell into the trap of not knowing what you get for your money;) You have to pay extra for inferior quality with the 360 (e.g buy a wi-fi adaptor, HD-DVD drive, bigger HD etc) but you get more advanced tech with all the add ons of the 360 included in the price of the PS3!

Haven't fallen into any trap ;) but at least MS actually have a product out, more than Sony has been able to do with more than one of their recent products. I think a much more useful comparison would be comparing the prices WHEN Sony actually have a product to market, in the mean time there seems to be quite a few happy 360 owners looking forward to the first of these developing options....and I suspect the 'good' surprizes about the 'HD DVD add on' are still yet to announced ;)

tryingtimes said:

But the point is if you DONT want wi-fi and a HD movie player then you aren't paying for them

Personally I will not be surprised if MS announce a price cut for the 360 before Christmas, to maintain sales at the crucial time of year when they have to compete with the (hopefully) newly-released PS3. That would follow the pattern for the original X-box, where MS started heavily discounting after a while to maintain sales in the face of stiff competition.

tryingtimes said:

Thats the same tired argument that has been rolled out over and over again.

There is no doubt that if you want everything in the PS3 then its good/great value but what percentage of people do want everything? It's not very high. Unless you want Wi-fi AND a next gen movie format then the 360 is better value.

By the time the Ps3 is released its quite possible that the 360 will be even better value still but we will have to wait and see if MS have any great bundles or price cuts to come. Bundleing a game like PGR3 and some Microsoft points seems very likely.

Do we have to turn a 360 HD-DVD drive info thread into another PS3 vs 360 thread? we already have a forum for that endless arguement.

Nic you sound like you have some insider info on the hd-dvd add on? Good to hear that there is positive surprises to come.

Noggin1980 said:
There is no doubt that if you want everything in the PS3 then its good/great value but what percentage of people do want everything? It's not very high. Unless you want Wi-fi AND a next gen movie format then the 360 is better value

Sorry, that's still not correct.

If you don't want Wi-Fi then you can always buy the lower spec PS3 which works out at approx £350 when using the same exchange rate as for the premium.

That's significantly cheaper than Xbox premium plus HD-DVD (£279+£140=£419). Which is the like-for-like comparison.

The cheapest possible way of getting HD-DVD would be a Core pack plus HD-DVD drive and a component cable (which isn't included with the core pack). Total cost=£210+£140+£20=£370.

Still more expensive than a basic PS3 and it doesn't have a hard drive.

Bottom line: Xbox is only cheaper if you don't want HD-DVD (perfectly reasonable, of course) or if you conveniently forget about the £210/£280 you paid last Christmas for the console.

Microsoft need a price cut or some pretty serious bundles to be price competitive. Unless they are happy to "look" cheaper with the headline price of the basic console without the add ons. After all, that's what they've already done with the core pack which is actually more expensive than the premium if you decide to buy the add ons at a later date.

Evil Engineer said:
Sorry, that's still not correct.

If you don't want Wi-Fi then you can always buy the lower spec PS3 which works out at approx £350 when using the same exchange rate as for the premium.

That's significantly cheaper than Xbox premium plus HD-DVD (£279+£140=£419). Which is the like-for-like comparison.

The cheapest possible way of getting HD-DVD would be a Core pack plus HD-DVD drive and a component cable (which isn't included with the core pack). Total cost=£210+£140+£20=£370.

Still more expensive than a basic PS3 and it doesn't have a hard drive.

Bottom line: Xbox is only cheaper if you don't want HD-DVD (perfectly reasonable, of course) or if you conveniently forget about the £210/£280 you paid last Christmas for the console.

Microsoft need a price cut or some pretty serious bundles to be price competitive. Unless they are happy to "look" cheaper with the headline price of the basic console without the add ons. After all, that's what they've already done with the core pack which is actually more expensive than the premium if you decide to buy the add ons at a later date.

lol at last someone with some common sense!

Noggin1980 said:
Thats the same tired argument that has been rolled out over and over again.
Whoa there - there was absolutely no argument in my post.
I was talking about my perspective on the situation as someone who doesn't yet own a new-gen console or HD disk format.

Noggin1980 said:
Do we have to turn a 360 HD-DVD drive info thread into another PS3 vs 360 thread? we already have a forum for that endless arguement.

I don't think I have to say anything do I?

For me, the Xbox360 was bought primarily because I wanted to stream ALL media types from my media center pc - the benefit of playing games was secondary but not unwelcome. It does this extremely well.

As for the total price for a new purchaser, I think there is the possibility that Microsoft have got an idea that some competition is about to emerge and will no doubt bring about packages or price reductions that will ensure their product is competitive.

I am sure I am not alone in being extremely interested to see how the HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox360 turns out. It may well already be covered here, but it would be interesting to know how they plan to get the signal to the tv - through component HD cable would be ok for now but what about HDCP as and when it becomes an issue? No upscaling through component for HD is probably not an issue with HD-DVD, but worst case would be the HD VGA cable to avoid HDCP issues in the future?

through component HD cable would be ok for now but what about HDCP as and when it becomes an issue? No upscaling through component for HD is probably not an issue with HD-DVD, but worst case would be the HD VGA cable to avoid HDCP issues in the future?
The general consensus is that, despite industry paranoia prior to release, high def component output will be "allowed" for many years. Probably alot longer than the lifespan of the Xbox 360.

Is the low spec PS3 available at launch in the UK now?

As for the total price for a new purchaser, I think there is the possibility that Microsoft have got an idea that some competition is about to emerge and will no doubt bring about packages or price reductions that will ensure their product is competitive.
I think that is a fairly safe bet. I honestly believe an Xbox 360 high def solution will workout somewhat cheaper than the PS3. As a side note it's interesting to read a survey of Taiwan gaming industry considers Microsoft's approach to high def is smarter than Sony's no choice integrated solution.

Well if the price is £150 for the HD-DVD add on and you consider the price of everything...

£280 console
£60 wireless adaptor
£150 HD-DVD
Total - £490 (with 40GB less HDD space than PS3)

One might think that PS3 is a good price..lol

now, im not that into gaming, i am however into getting the best for my money. so do i spend my £450 (is that how much a hddvd is gonna be?) on a hddvd player that just plays hddvds or do i spend roughly the same amount on a console that plays films and games? will the picture be the same? better? worse? what benefits will i get from having a console play my films than a stand alone player?

The picture.....only time will tell but I expect both the 360 (HD-DVD) and PS3 (BR) picture to be below a decent stand-alone player. There has been a trend in consoles that play video discs, the PQ is always below par. Perhaps this may change, I doubt it though.

The other issue is control and navigation.....something the console players have always done VERY badly.

Yes, both look like good deals for next-gen video devices but I wouldn't rush out and buy one on release day if you value PQ and control......wait for the reviews, especially from this forum ;)

It will be very interesting to see how the HD-DVD add on (which I'll probably buy as well) compares with the premium PS3.

Will the all-digital HDMI output on the PS3 allow for a picture that hasn't been through a cheap console DAC ?

Will this result in a better a picture than the Xbox combo?

Will we still have codec issues with Bluray in November?

Will the average punter who is only used to seeing SD tellie and DVD on his LCD/Plasma even notice or care if one turns out to be slightly better than the other?

Interesting times.....

Rasczak said:
Is the low spec PS3 available at launch in the UK now?

I dunno. Do we know the premium only at launch stories are anything more than internet rumour?

Sony haven't comfirmed anything about the launch yet, beyond the date.

I suppose it will boil down to what Sony's market research tells them. At least they haven't got an incentive to over stock the basic console, forcing the punter to buy all the bits seperately for more money like Microsoft had last year. :)

Rasczak said:
As a side note it's interesting to read a survey of Taiwan gaming industry considers Microsoft's approach to high def is smarter than Sony's no choice integrated solution.

We will only know whether if they are right on that one with the benifit of hindsight. :)

Not that many HDTV owners care since most HDTV resolutions are only 1366 x 768 but we know that the Xbox 360 will never give a 1080p picture!

KevinPedrick said:
Not that many HDTV owners care since most HDTV resolutions are only 1366 x 768 but we know that the Xbox 360 will never give a 1080p picture!

are you sure? :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom