"More" important that amp and speakers have synergy? Than source...?

keysersoze123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Fairly naive about HiFi, but I just have one quick question. Generally, is it really important that your amp and speakers have very good synergy... and your source doesn't necessarily have to 'fit' quite as well... if you catch my drift?

I may have got this totally wrong, but is that the general consensus in the HiFi world? I think I've heard that said before.

I ask, because I'm looking at getting a network streamer, like the Linn DS or Logitech Transporter, and there isn't a lot of choice in that segment of the market at present.

It's kinda hard to take your DS or Transporter to a shop to demo with amps and speakers, because they don't have hard drives with music, and you can't just plug a CD in...

So if I get a really good speaker/amp combo, is it likely they will work well with whatever source (DS/Transporter etc.) I end up with?

Thanks,

Keyser

Based on my experience, I'd suggest that the differences between sources are far less pronounced, and thus system synergy would be easier to achieve.
The key difference being that digital sources generally use a similar impedance and voltage (2 volts) for their output. Power amps however have much bigger differences in their capabilities over the frequency range.

Having said that, I'm certainly not saying that all digital sources sound the same, and do believe that there are genuine benefits to buying better (and usually more expensive) sources.

Based on my experience, I'd suggest that the differences between sources are far less pronounced, and thus system synergy would be easier to achieve.
The key difference being that digital sources generally use a similar impedance and voltage (2 volts) for their output. Power amps however have much bigger differences in their capabilities over the frequency range.

Having said that, I'm certainly not saying that all digital sources sound the same, and do believe that there are genuine benefits to buying better (and usually more expensive) sources.

Thanks Mr Sukebe, yeah that pretty much confirms what I thought to be the case. Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom