1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More HS20 Woes... Losing Focus

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ShinObiWAN, Jul 17, 2004.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last week I posted a thread regarding my brand new HS20 not starting correctly, it would basically wind the fans but then just sit and do nothing.

The only work around was to disconnect the power, since the projector refused to respond to the remote or manual controls.

I've arranged to have this one replaced but Discount Electrical don't have anymore in stock ATM so I'm left struggling to use this one.

Sorry if I'm boring you all at this point but I thought I'd give some sort of prologue to the trouble I'm having at the minute.
    Its now losing focus, by this I mean if I focus the image perfectly then check the image say a 1/2hr later, its lost focus ever so slightly but very noticably on computer images and games etc.
    I can go back touch up again and this repeats whilstever the PJ is on. The focus control on the HS20 is electrical so you don't have direct control over it, I'm wondering if the machine is doing this or could it be heat on the optics?

Its wall mounted on a very secure bracket so its not moving at all.

All in all, despite the initial impressive picture of the HS20, there are many niggling problems which ruin a good budget machine.

Here are the things that I don't like about the HS20:

- Panel misconvergence of about 1-2pixels at the edges of the screen
    - Startup and focus issue I mentioned above
    - Inability to run at 1386x788 1:1 mapping so you waste pixels! And instead have to run at 1368x768
    - Crap button positions on the remote.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ShinObiWAN,

Kramer is the Sony guru, but commiserations on your current plight............. I can understand that you feel frustrated.

The start-up issue is a known problem with the HS10 - hadn't heard much about it on the HS20 - there's a link in a post here (or on avsforum) to a Sony paper describing the cure for the startup prob (a replacement cover part for the base. something like that); the focus "drift" is more of a puzzle to me - never heard that one before; panel misconvergence is fairly common with LCD and the 1:1 pixel match for HS10/20 is such a performance improvement that I wouldn't be too fussed over the pixel border.

If/when you get a replacement from your supplier (without the start-up or focus drift issue) I reckon the other things will seem less nigglesome.

Sean.

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ritz,

Hoping that DE have stock in on Wednesday and get a new machine out to me asap. I suppose the bonus is that I can use the machine if I manage to coax it into working. So I'm essentially getting some free lamp time. But its all been a little bit of a shallow experience because the problems have taken the edge out of owning a new machine.

I also should add that the box the projector came in has a deepish dent in the side, not enough to damage the machine as its well padded on all side but certainly shows signs of rough treatment during delivery. I'm wondering if this is the couse of my problems and the panel misconvergence?

Regarding the focus drift, could excessive heat effect the optics?

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Re. your focus thing. ALL the projectors I've owned have done this to some degree, and I think you are completely correct that it is a heat issue.

It's recommended that all calibrations are done once the projector is warmed up, and whilst this then means you might temporarily have a softer focus when the projector is turned on, it'll only then get better as the projector warms.

Ian Guinan

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ShinObiWAN,

Ian's explanation sounds plausible, you'll know that drift is common with certain (if not all ?) CRTs, but I haven't encountered it with LCD before.....

Can understand that the "shine" of a new toy would be well spoiled by your experience to date, but once DE sort you out you'll be back on track. I had the lamp go on my AE100 at about 320hrs, replaced by dealer (juuuuust outside 90 day warranty) and it was a bit of a bummer...... now at 1500+ hrs it's still the best gizmo we've ever had.

Sean.