1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

more hs2 questions...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by father alice, Jan 29, 2004.

1. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does the hs2 exhibit a lip synch problem when hooked up to an amp via digital optical out, either for playback, or when it is simply passing sky etc through it. Presumably to get sky (not plus) through the amp (and prologic II), the hs2 would need to be on, or would the dig out to amp still work with the hs2 off.

I have sky tv to hs2 av2 /av1 to tv all rgb, so would need to keep it hooked up this way if possible.

The amp I was thinking of was the pioneer c301, so couldn't use normal rca phonos to connect sky to amp direct, but it would be linked via scart to hs2 to amp- so would that transmit the audio with the hs2 both on and off?

Cheers, Ali.

2. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you using an LCD monitor/screen ? the problem I'm about to describe is not unique to any dvd player in particular.
    if so there is a delay in the video. it takes (something like 112ms) to process the video through an LCD. this puts the video out of sync with the audio.

I read about this recently in a proaudio magazine - some post-production studios have found this to be a problem - they're monitoring audio through pro equipment and viewing the video on large LCD screens.

the reason it's not a problem when playing both audio and video through LCD is that the manufacturers have built in a delay to the stereo audio to compensate for the time taken to process the video.

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    When in standby mode the HS2 does show lip synch problems with SCART passthrough. should go away when the unit is switched on. It will be exacerbated on a plasma display.

I saw somewhere that later models had solved this problem.

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14

NO: When in standby there is no problem, the signal is passed through. When it is recording and you are watching it whilst it records, processing time differences can build up between the sound and picture, giving sound out of sync. The recording itself is ok so you can get around this by watching in catch up mode a few seconds behind live. If you are not recording but switched on with no timer programs plannned which prevent viewing, there is some debate as to whether or no the signal is passed through direct or processed at the preset recording rate first, which would again give lip sync issues.
    NO: it is a feature of them all.

THere is a "fix" but it is intended for plasma screens only and it has to go back for repair, which presumably inputs a delay into the circuit somewhere, and has not proved completely effective. Indeed would it then work ok with a conventional crt? Again use the recorded signal or turn off the machine, or view the source via another connection when recording and all is fine.

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    YES - in standby mode my HS2 exhibits lip synch delay, but not while switched on, and I've seen the same said by other owners on this forum.

I don't know how yours behaves - I can only speak from my own experience.

6. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your replies, I do get a lip synch problem when watching sky "live" through the hs2, though not on playback, or pass through, so was wondering if when sound was output via an amp hooked up to the optical out, rather than the scart to tv, the problem remains the same, and if the optical would only output when the hs2 is on.
    NB I have sky not plus, so original sound is DD2.0 only, connected by scart to hs2

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If the unit is on and is taking a scart signal from the digibox, it must be processing the signal to provide the optical out. THis would confirm my suspicions that when the unit is switched on it is processing the signal at the recording quality set as the default on the machine. This will result in the lip sync issue. Personnaly, I have never noticed as mine is aleays set for timer recording which prevents signal pass through when on.
    When in standby the signal just passes through via the scart, and has no effect on the sync. I watch in passthrough mode with the hs2 in standby all the time its not recording and there is no problem.