1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Horror SE

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Blondie, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it me or is this genre totally missed out when applying all singing all dancing SE DVD's. there are so many horror films out there that i would like to see giving the special tratment, but no we have SE's such as The Band Wagon instead, (bad film with Fred Astaire) :thumbsdow it can't be a costing issue because the horror genre has a massive fan base, so what can it be, we need more horror films to be given the treatment of titles such as The Thing, Halloween The Fog and Dawn of the Dead have recieved. :smashin: sometime before we see Halloween 20 :lease:
    :lease: give all Friday the 13th films the SE treatment and not leave it at just the first one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Then again there are those of us that inhabit a reality where "The Band Wagon" is a first-rate Hollywood musical and a classic example of its genre fully deserving of the SE treatment, and "Friday the 13th" is a shoddily made piece of crap representing the nadir of the horror genre.

Just an alternate viewpoint... :D

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    :nono: * friday 13th is great!! And it does deserve a proper 2 disc S.E. but i doubt one will ever be forthcoming. At least we've been treated to a lovely special edition hellraiser boxset. *strokes his lament configuration*

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    "Friday the 13th" is a very, very retarded, bastard cousin (twice-removed and with a limp and a steel plate in its head) of "Halloween". An opinion not coloured by the time it was made or by what has come since in the genre. It was, is and always will be a rank, shoddy exercise in body-count cinema.

Back when it was first released it was a derivative, cliched, snooze-fest of the highest order, and was rightly spotted by many as tenth-rate, post-"Halloween" wannabe. Suspense and horror - 0/10. Predictability & blatant stupidity - 10/10. :smashin:

I remember at the time saying to my mate during the final scene - "Something's going to come out of the water". Even a quarter of a century ago it was that hackeneyed and tediously predictable.

I also remember that this was the second movie I had seen that left me with an angry feeling at the waste of time and money, not to mention the swingeing and quite enormous insult to the intelligence (something we're used to these days with the produce of Holly and Wood, but something of a rarity back in 1980). The first was "The Amityville Horror" and just like that sorry excuse for a horror movie, the audience I watched "Friday the 13th" with hooted with laughter and made rude remarks at the screen. I also recall several walkouts muttering under their breath.

This movie is only a "classic" in the minds of those that saw it when they were five-year-old, wet themselves and then grew up thinking that gore = horror, and that was how all horror movies should be made, i.e. nothing more than a cast of half-naked teenagers that re-define the term "stupid", being offed with monotonous regularity, with no element of suspense, logic, tension or wit to intrude on the on-screen, charnel-house goings-on.

The only way I could concieve of anyone ever being gripped, scared or thrilled by this exercise in cliched monotony is if they had never seen any other horror or suspense movie in their life - ever. This probably explains why the only people I ever encountered back in the '80s that rated this sorry flick were the eight year olds that sneaked an illicit look at it on home video and couldn't sleep with the light off for a month.

Any mature horror movie buffs (or mainstream movie buffs for that matter) just held their noses in the presence of such a stinker. Back then it was unbearably dull and awful and an effort to sit through - how can anyone bear to watch it now?

Especially after the likes of "Scary Movie".

Perhaps there hasn't been a 2 disc SE with interviews and docos, because the people that made it are ashamed to show their faces! :D

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    In a public place too! :eek:

Don't worry - they can't touch you for it these days. ;)

6. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you stick with freddy boy!!!!!!!!! and i'll stick with Jason, you old twinkle toes you!!!!!!!!!

7. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So can i take it you not that fussed about SE treatment for Friday the 13th!!! You feel that strongly that part of me thinks you were the five year old who wet himself and has since been scared :eek: :eek:

8. Mezz

Mezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that horror films should be given the special treatment, i have all the halloween films (except number 3, what a crap film) and all the nightmare on elm streets, i am yet to buy the friday the 13th films as i want them in a boxset, any ideas if this is coming out on R2? I have always been a fan of horror even the newer ones like freddy v jason (the fight scene at the end is awsome).

More horror SE :lease:

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    haha, like me you've got the TRUE halloween collection by avoiding part 3 :D which i agree, is a total travesty!! Apart from the first one, which is your favourite halloween movie? I actually really liked Resurrection as it showed where Michael has been hiding out all these years, finalised the Laurie Strode plot, and brought a new style to the series, which was actually quite intense in places. The only downside for me was bloody busta rhymes trying to go all kung fun on michael myers :rotfl:

i dont think the crystal lake to manhattan boxset is coming out on R2 due to the rights of the dvd's being owned by different companies. Fox owns part 1, Paramount owns 2-8. Then going on to the other two movies, Part 9 is owned by Pathe, and Jason X by E.I.V so the chances of a complete series is very slim indeed.

10. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No news i'am afraid matey. i to have all the horror genres boxsets in my collection, Halloween, Hellraiser, Nightmare, even Children of the Corn :eek: and so on... so i'am having the Friday the 13th boxset at the top of my wishlist, before Blade Runner SE who is number two of my most wanted...
    would'nt it be nice though if money was not the main reason for bringing out retro films, then we could have all the friday films giving the treatment of the Aliens films, same boxset with 11 movies, know that would be nice :lease: no chance though :thumbsdow
    Also, yes Friday was a complete rip of Halloween, but in it's own right Friday stands alone as an excellent slasher in the woods film, were hallowen is even more scarey because Mikey boy was in the back yard!!! Anyone who hates Friday films should watch the 6th in the series, buy it go home and watch in the wee small hours and you will be scared :eek: :eek:

11. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marc watch halloween 1 and 2 back to back :eek:
    Also 6 still scares today especially the scenes in the bus depot :smashin:

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    part 6 of friday 13th is my favourite :) zombie jason is at his most menacing, and there are 2 kills every 10 minutes once the flow of the movie gets going!

i was never overly keen on halloween 2, it seemed thrown together just to cash in on the original, although i do very much like the fact that it follows on instantly from the first movie. They did the same sort of thing with parts 4 and 5 too :) Which versions of the halloween movies do you own? I have the 2 disc version of halloween with 2 different versions of the movie, the widescreen edition of 2 the special editions of 4 and 5 and the only region 2 version of 6, the special edition of h20 and the only region 2 version of resurrection.

13. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sadly i have two boxsets, the first which was titled The Ultimate collection, which missed part 6 and resurrection. Then i bought the complete collection, which houses all films even 3 :thumbsdow . i have the 2 disc edition of the first film a basic edition of 6 and resurrection is a single disc. what region are the SE of 4 and 5 and are they any good?????? oh and to have H2O which is a good movie :clap:
    buy the way i'll have to buy another boxset as they are currently filming Halloween 9, GO HOME MICHEAL :smashin:

14. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    watched Friday the 13th part 6 last night again, Wife up nearly all night :clap: :clap: :smashin: