1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More HD5 issues - fast forwarding

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jjust, Aug 24, 2005.

1. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Occasionally if I fastforward a track a fair way though - the counter goes haywire - e.g. starts counting backwards, then up then all over the joint..

This only happens occasionally (v1.2 hw). Now it seems to happen on Mp3s that are listed as 204kbps on the HD5. I'm guessing these are VBR encoded since I don't think I have anything coded statically at that rate (sorry can't check cos I'm not at home now). Sometimes the counter seems to catch up (like cos of the VBR it's recalcuating the seconds remaining), but others it remains screwy until the next track. I haven't investigated fully yet....

Anyone noticed similar things.

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I have, its not a problem though is it? I put it down to the VBR encoded files, which must for some reason confuse the player. I've never understood why the HD5 doesn't just show VBR instead of 204kbps or whatever.

Calling this an "issue" is a total overreaction though, it only takes a couple of seconds to get its game together.

3. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks people - now my problem is solved too!! I was convinced it was my player ;)

4. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    The NW-HD range does not support VBR files.

5. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I beg to differ.

6. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    OK allow me to clarify (as it seems I have to). :(

They will play but the counter will jump about all over the place and you will have the problems illustrated above.

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a problem because it annoys the crap out of people since it basically can't fast forward a simple song. Something that is essential. And it does not ever regain control once you fastforward, it will keep searching till you change the song or restart it. Try fast forwarding a second and third time on the same track, it gets much worse.

Imagine how someone with a very long VBR song and wants to fast forward to a particular second would feel when they find the seconds jumping back and forth minutes at a time, they'll have to find the position by ear, thats unacceptable.

8. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My turn to ask stupid questions - what is VBR? I have noticed that my HD5 seems to stumble during some tracks when I have forwarded them a bit - Those tracks almost always seems to be 200 kbps MP3's or something equally strange - they also failed to convert to Atrac 132kpbs as SonicStage was set to do - are they VBR? What does it mean?

9. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, it depends if you view this as a problem or not really. The HD5 plays back VBR files which is good enough for me. Fast forwarding doesn't seem to be a huge issue, because it might be a bit ropey on VBR tracks it does still work.

I can accept that its far from ideal, but I can't really see it being a huge problem. You may well not agree. And I do think Sony should sort it out, because this is clearly a firmware issue that would be easy to fix.

10. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    VBR = variable bit rate, a more efficient form of compression which based on a guide bitrate, uses as few bits as it needs to to represent a sound. With a constant bit rate file, you're taking up the same amount of data however well or badly the sound compresses within a specified bitrate.

VBR can cause confusion in many players. My only issue with the fast forwarding of the HD5 is that it is not practical for use in very long recordings, where you most need fast forward / rewind navigation. With Creative, Rio and Apple for example, you simply slide down the strip or scroll the wheel to go to any specific place in a track.

11. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd still argue it's an issue - mainly because my counter SOMETIMES doesn't recover and is out for the whole rest of the song (e.g. might say 100% complete on the bar and start counting backwards whilst the song plays for another 2 mins). And as such you can't fast forward/rewind. Which sux when you have 30 minute tracks (like language tapes, mixes,e tc)

And I call it an issue because maybe it can be fixed in firmware along with other errors such as System Error 020 etc. Pretty essential function

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony won't fix it, they'll just bring out a new player with all our requests, hopefully, unless they are really taking their time with the firmware, and as long as its a good firmware i dont mind.

13. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I'm not expecting much.

"ALL OUR REQUESTS" mmm you mean without bugs? Hardly requests :)

14. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, we could put some pressure on them. I would hope they would pay a bit of attention. At any rate, its worth a go.

15. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    :D - Have you seen the cracks thread?

More than three months down the line and still no solution to that fundamental manufacturing flaw.

16. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, I know. Its annoying but I am still banking on Sony sorting it.

17. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right - we're all moaning about the fact that the HD5 can't play VBR mp3's properly and that the counter goes haywire so if you wanted to forward an audiobook to 25 mins and 14 seconds it just wouldn't be possible...

Well there is a PERFECT SOLUTION for the problem - convert the problem file to Atrac in SonicStage and stop worrying!

18. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah but fixing cracks in buttons is a physical thing and more costly (device recalls, sourcing other parts etc). Where as this stuff is most likely firmware so it takes a few days (prob not even that) of a nerd's time.