More fun and games with forum sponsor Discount Electrical

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mcmullanbrush, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a Sony HS-10 projector from forum sponsor Discount Electrical yesterday morning. I was assured that it would be delivered today.
    Having waited in all day, I decided to call DE at 5pm, no answer. I called a further 3 times and still no answer. Eventually, at 5.20 someone picked up the phone and told me they would check with the couriers and call me back.
    At 5.50 I called again, but the line was engaged. I got the engaged tone for a further 20 minutes, now it is ringing with no answer.

Top customer service as usual :smashin:

David McMullan
    Rotherham

2. malcolm

malcolm
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hard luck brush,
    i had a similar situation with techtronics after waiting 2 weeks i was told it should be in in another week!

I cancelled and went else where. I suggest you do the same.
    Unless it arrives at 9am tomorrow morning!

Best of luck with it!

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This is in no way to defend them ... their internet sales is a side-line from their high-street shop as far as I can ascertain and is run largely by Ben, on here as 'benji_m' IIRC, and Thursdays is (was) his day off.

As I say, I'm not excusing what happened but that I guess is why you may have had problems calling today.

FYI, I did buy an AE300+screen back in September and had very good service, I may have been lucky of course.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't 5pm normal closing time for many retailers/companies?

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could not find their opening times on their website, but I thought if I called before 5, I would have been told "the couriers can still deliver up to 6pm sir"
    Obviously they are open after 5 as I received a reply at 5.20.

I took a day off work to receive this item, when it didnt arrive, I was promised a call back, which never came. If it arrives tomorrow there will be nobody home to accept it. If I decide to have it re-delivered, I will have to take another day off work.

I have sent them an email, asking them to phone me tomorrow before 10.30. If they dont bother then I shall be cancelling the order.

6. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Please lets stop this before it starts,

We have already have had one thread from this particular member earlier this year, I remember it well, lambasting and vilifying us (the retailer) for Panasonics customer service and service wait policy (as an AE100 owner with 3 returns under my belt I know this is pretty substandard) this grew into a huge thread doing untold damage to the reputation of our business and verging on defamatory in many places. This was a savage, unjustified and just unfair attack upon our business and we do try very hard in the area of customer service, a huge percentage of our customers come in to visit us for dems (incedentally at net prices) and many return time after time, I am confident in our customer service and I know we go to extremes to remedy problems.

Fact 1,

This was a mail order transaction, this involves a certain amount of reliance on the courier (city link in this case) we have NO POWER over this side of the transaction and NEITHER DOES ANY OTHER MAIL ORDER RETAILER. Just like for example when your insurance company posts your policy out and you need this to tax the car, there is a postal strike, or the mail van breaks down, does one scream blue murder at the insurance company for their ineptitude? We dispatched the product on time, with free dead pixel check, to the right address, packed securely on a next working day service with one of the countries leading courier companies.

Fact 2,

We did not act on the non delivery of the item before 5.15 pm because we had an e-mail from city link stating the address had been 'carded' ie a delivery had been attempted but there was no one in. Let me qualify this by saying that I am not of course accusing mcmullenbrush of not being in all day, after all are courier drivers in a rush going to have any moral problems with reporting an address 'carded' even if they don't actually go there? BUT this was the best information we had all the time! We honestly and truthfully believed that a delivery had been attempted that afternoon.

Fact 3,

Or rather opinion 3!

This is surely not a horror story by the standards of some others on this very forum, at least you can talk to us and we really do care about customers experiences.

Fact 4,

We close usually at either 5 or 5.30 (local custom on some days! what can I say, the backward north!) but we often stay behind to ensure everything gets sorted, everyone gets their stuff and all problems that can be dealt with are dealt with. This is a time of peak demand and we are very busy.

Fact 5,

The price paid for this PJ was 1850, below UK trade by a good few hundred quid, with a free dead pixel check, this is not of course meant to imply anything service wise, we apply the same level to everyone, but please lets see this in context

This is a public forum read by many people, if you were in business and worked incredibly hard and had so many tales of success and satisfied customers (all acheived at internet prices) how would you feel about a post like this (and the last one which thankfully I believe has been deleted) ?

I will quite happily stand up and take fair and justified critiscism for my actions or the actions of any of my fellow staff, what I request is that this does not turn into an unfair, unjustified, savage, untruthfull and, well, just nasty thread like the last one!

Rant over - I have work to do!

If anyone would like me to explain or justify anything please do not hesitate to ask as I will be more than willing, and please for the sake of the mods keep to the material facts.

Best Regards,

Ben

7. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    People may not like this but well done Ben, I think it is only fair for you to respond to this thread.

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But the one thing you did not explain is that a call back was, according to mcmullanbrush, promised and was not made, there by leaving the customer with non of the information provided by yourself above, the fact that you would come on a forum like this and provide this information is great, but should a customer have to come here before they are provided with an explaination. Surely whever its the fault of the couriers or yourselves the customer should be kept informed at all times, and it should be the retailers responsibility to do the phoning around and not the customer.

Also on a side note, I didn't think this thread was at all nasty towards your company, mearly a member sharing their experiences, if you hadn't mentioned the previous "nasty" thread, I and probably many other members would have been non the wiser..

9. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So......

Did mcmullanbrush get his PJ today?
    Was he "carded" by Citylink because he wasn't in all day?
    Couldn't Citylink be bothered to attempt a delivery?

This stuff is exciting.. We want the facts.

:eek:

10. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    rscott4563

Fair comment about the callback, hands up completely on that! BUT mcmullenbrush was provided (I belive although I did not personally give it!) a full and fair explaination this morning. Also City Link Deliver up to 6pm so when you do call its the same old 'parcels can be delivered up to 6pm) We did not learn of this issue until after closing time, and to the best of OUR knowledge the parcel had already been 'carded; once and therfore would be on the van for that are and delivered on second attempt later that day.

The reason I reacted so quickly to this thread is that this new years day, I had the distinct displeasure of defending our company against the most savage, potentially defamatory and simply misfounded compilation of posts based on innacuracies and innuendo that we have ever had to deal with in 25 years of trading. This forum is in the public domain and read by thousands of people, it is a 'publication' in legal terms and, although not a personal fan of his, I took George dubbya's doctrine of premption and stopped this getting out of hand like it did last time. It may seem like an overreaction but last time, based on misguided and simply inaccurate information, that series of posts lost us significant business, as simple as that.

If you were in business, having enjoyed a good reputation for 25 years, and then in a publication someone proceeded to paint your business in a factually innacurate light and to effectively lay the admittedly shocking service of a manufacturer squarely on the door of the retailer (I HAVE PERSONALLY EXPERIENCED THIS SERVICE FROM PANA FIRST HAND - THREE TIMES - EVEN I CAN'T GET THEM TO SPEED UP!) then for this to be reacted to and posted on (factually inaccurate material) - almost negating overnight the multitude fo positive opinions expressed on these forums is disheartening to say the least.

To put it yet more bluntly (any retailers reading this will surely sympathise!)

You try selling a product and not making a BEAN on the damn thing, try and provide the best service you can, then be subjected to a wholly unjustified public witch hunt and demonisation for something WHICH YOU HAVE NO MATERIAL CONTROL OVER WHATSOEVER.

This of course sounds like a complete overreaction to most who did not see the last thread! so to those people I am truly sorry.

Like I said we will accept any fair critiscism gracefully, and receptively and will do our best to ensure any issues are sorted out. I am confident in our ability to provide excellent customer service - in an industry as competitive small businesses dont thrive over 25 years without it.

All I am asking is for fairness, factual accuracy and moderation, after all if this were your livelihood you surely would expect the same.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Best Regards

11. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Bought an AE200 and screen from Discount TV a couple of weeks ago and got called straight back when I made calls to them twice. However City Link did also let me down by putting the two items on different vans and only delivering one of them. I received the screen at 2pm and when the pj hadn't arrived at 4.40pm I called Discount TV who checked online and the package showed as being carded at 4.30 or thereabouts. Aware that they would be closing they gave me the number for the local City Link office and I progressed with them. City Link said that 'carded' on the system may just mean the driver didn't have time to deliver. I kicked up a big fuss with them on the phone and they sent a van out to me and delivered the pj at 7.30pm.

I think that Discount TV gave me both an excellent deal and first class service. Their only failing in this and the case above seems to be their faith in City Link to deliver goods for them.

12. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm Citylink.......

My PJ was at the doctors last week and was returned via Citylink.
    My partner saw the van pull up outside, put the dog in the kitchen and went to open the front door to collect the PJ.

The delivery man had just reached the door and was about to put a "card" through the letterbox which he had filled out in the van!!

When asked where the projector was the reply was "Oh I didn't think anyone was in"

If the guy had of bothered to knock on the door first then he would have known that someone was in and there was no need for him to fill in his little card!

Can't say I'm a fan of Citylink.:rolleyes:

13. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My post is 100% accurate, if there is any dispute about this then I would like Ben to state what he believes to be false.
    Likewise, the post I made at Xmas was also 100% accurate, although Ben implies otherwise. I will happily remind him of the facts from last time if he wishes.
    If the thread from Xmas has not been deleted, then I suggest Ben reads my posts before he makes any further remarks. He may be confused as other members added their opinions, many of which were later deleted by admin.

As I have already said, I got through to DE at 5.20pm, having been trying them since 5.00. The assistant told be he would look into it and call me back, he did not.
    I sent an email to DE, asking them to contact me the following morning, before 10.30. Again, they failed to do so. I called DE and was told that City Link had called at my house at 5.10pm, but that nobody was home.
    At 5.10pm, I was standing about 6 inches from my front door, trying to contact DE on the phone. My wife was in the kitchen with the light on. The City Link deliverer is either lying or was trying to deliver to the wrong address. Either way, I did not recieve a card and I believe DE should accept responsibility for failing to call me back and should maybe consider employing a better delivery company.

14. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Looks like he already has!

15. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So...
    Has the projector been delivered now???
    Has mcmullanbrush got a fantastic PJ viewing weekend ahead or a continuing rant on avforums.com??

I need to know. This is better that Eastenders.:eek:

17. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No projector:thumbsdow

As I have posted, I emailed DE and asked them to call me before 10.30 Friday morning. Had they done so and offered an explanation, I would have accepted a re-arranged delivery. They didnt call me and I had to call them to cancel.
    City Link were going to attempt to deliver on Friday (although I will no longer believe anything City link say). Nobody was in on Friday and I would have had to take another day off work to get the projector next week.
    I felt that my inconvenience deserved the courtesy of a call from DE.

18. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :(

The whole distance selling thing is loaded with problems like this. It seems that everytime that I order something "off the net" if it doesn't fit through the letterbox then its a hassle taking delivery.

However, the savings that are to be had in comparison to most "bricks and mortar" retailers make the inconvenience a little more bearable
    :D

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So basically a delivery was missed/never happened? Hardly the retailers fault...

A call wasn't returned (practically at/after close of business)?

Order now cancelled?

I honestly don't see how this qualifies as "more fun & games" :confused: An explaination/apology has now been given. Both parties have had a chance to reply so I see no further benefit to be gained from this thread.

Closing shortly........

20. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like he's cutting off his nose to spite his face to me.

21. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    So, the lessons to be learned are:

1: Discount Electrical try and claim to be caring and responsible. And who am I to disagree?

2: mcmullanbrush has had a bad experience which seems mainly to be as a result of a [email protected] courier. Having had a bad experience, has reacted impatiently and unforgivingly. And who am I to say whether that's right or wrong?

3: Discount Electrical - use another courier!!!!! Might save you some grief.

There's nothing in this thread that will make me wish to avoid using DE (not that I ever have - yet).

22. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we know the real reason this thread is being closed shortly.

Maybe it should be kept open until I receive a refund from DE? I doubt it will be:rolleyes:

Maybe I was impatient, but it seems we accept that "Next Day Delivery" means any time in the next week and you had better be prepared to take 2 or 3 days off work to get it.
    We also accpet "I will call you back" as meaning you will end up having to call them again and again to get an answer.

23. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cynicism anyone?

:D

24. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe this sounds a bit simple, but if McMullanbrush had such a bad experience with DE previously, why use them again, rather than taking his business elsewhere ??

25. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I must say the City Link seem not to be the most reliable.

I ordered a Plasma Wall mount from AV-Sales and was promissed next day deliver. This did not happen and on further investigation from AV-Sales it was City Links fault as the driver had tried to deleiver to the wrong address and carded it.

I found it best to contact City Link with the consignement number and with that they traced the parcel. The pacel finally arived a day late and the goods damaged :(

I suggest you do the same as this gave me some satisfaction.

26. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point

My decision to change projector was fairly sudden and I quickly sold my old one. I didnt really have time to shop around, so I clicked on the banner advert and decided to give DE another go.

Giving them another chance, after a previous bad experience, made me much less tolerant when the item failed to arrive. This, coupled with no returned calls caused me to cancel in anger and frustration.

27. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because DE are doing the HS10 at £1849 :D

28. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    One point.

If I was unhappy with a supplier I am sure I would not use them again and wonder why you did?

Opps sorry this has already been asked.#

Quote: Because DE are doing the HS10 at £1849 :)

This is a falce economy then!!

I would be interedted in mcmullanbrush answer

29. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it looked a very good price and I have to admit it swayed my decision.
    As for false economy, one could speculate that DE employ City Link because they are cheap and that is also a false economy.

I have called around this morning, as I will be without a projector after tomorrow:( and have got one for 1,800. It should be here on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

30. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:nono:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.