More Expensive Denon AVR worth it?

Kopec

Novice Member
Hi guys, I currently have a Denon x2200. I'm waiting for my new speakers to arrive. Currently using Cambridge Audio aero 6 and 5 as floor standers and centre. Kef q100 as rear surrounds. Along with a BK sub and elac upward firing atmos.

My new speakers will be Klipsch rp504C centers and Klipsch Rp8000 floor standers.

Now here's my q, if I can get a denon x3700 for £750, is it worth it? Will I notice that much of a difference between the 2? Or would the avr upgrade be small enough to not warrant needing an upgrade for that kind of money. Would love thoughts from anyone who's gone from the x2200 to the x3700. Specs are specs but anyone's who's heard the differences, would be lovely to hear from you.

Singh

Not heard the differences, but I think this depends on if you need the main extra features/future proofing:
  • power for 9 speaker, 11 channel processing (4 atmos channels)
  • 8K / HDR 10+ etc
  • XT32 / SubEQ
There is a bit extra power/headroom also which should give better sound quality / louder volumes in theory. You may or may not notice the difference.

£750 is a good price, I would be tempted just for future proofing atmos channels and the XT32/Sub EQ which is supposed to be a big step up. You will get some back by selling your 2200 also.

This is a good site for comparisons:

chris walkden

Novice Member
Hi guys, I currently have a Denon x2200. I'm waiting for my new speakers to arrive. Currently using Cambridge Audio aero 6 and 5 as floor standers and centre. Kef q100 as rear surrounds. Along with a BK sub and elac upward firing atmos.

My new speakers will be Klipsch rp504C centers and Klipsch Rp8000 floor standers.

Now here's my q, if I can get a denon x3700 for £750, is it worth it? Will I notice that much of a difference between the 2? Or would the avr upgrade be small enough to not warrant needing an upgrade for that kind of money. Would love thoughts from anyone who's gone from the x2200 to the x3700. Specs are specs but anyone's who's heard the differences, would be lovely to hear from you.

Off subject, I know, but I see you mention Cambridge audio Aeromax 6 speakers that you will be replacing. Do you rate them? I keep debating whether to buy some if I can find any, that is.

Kopec

Novice Member
Off subject, I know, but I see you mention Cambridge audio Aeromax 6 speakers that you will be replacing. Do you rate them? I keep debating whether to buy some if I can find any, that is.
I have the aero 6, not aeromax 6. I do enjoy them and looking to get rid of mine if there's any interest. Can do 200 for them and the centre but not sure it's what you're after.

More than welcome to visit for a test, pm me if you'd like.

anishnair

Standard Member
From 25+ year's personal experience, I would suggest following upgrade path (reasons)
  1. Add a second matching subwoofer: There is a lot of content on this and US forums explaining how important it is to get a good bass response - which contributes to 80% of our feeling 'Good Sound'
  2. If budget allows, buy a USB microphone & use free REW software to understand how your room is contributing to the frequency response and do some corrections - position of sub/speakers, EQ, etc. Add a minidsp 2x4 to optimise the subwoofers
  3. Only upgrade LCR if you are not happy with the sound (or you know some obvious issues). The general rule of thumb I read was you need to double the budget to get an appreciable benefit (of course this is not scientific). I would suggest reading on ASR forums or any other provides actual measurements of speakers than the paid 5* reviews
  4. If you are serious about 3D sound, replace upfiring speakers with real height/ceiling speakers.
  5. Denon AVC-X3700H is excellent (I owned it previously) for the money, but you are unlikely to get any audible improvement. So consider whether the features are important for you than the 10W power difference.
#1 + #5 will be huge step up as the AVC-X3700H Audyssey XT32 + SubEQ can equalise two independent subs and provide higher resolution corrections in bass. Also you can use the app to customise your target frequency response curves to taste.

Last edited:

chris walkden

Novice Member
I have the aero 6, not aeromax 6. I do enjoy them and looking to get rid of mine if there's any interest. Can do 200 for them and the centre but not sure it's what you're after.

More than welcome to visit for a test, pm me if you'd like.
I am going to sound stupid now, but I assumed the Aeromax 6 was the same as the aero 6. I have just checked and it seems the max version has a stiffer cabinet and also they have the shiny exteriors instead. If you are selling I might be interested, sod's law you won't be local to West Yorkshire in the UK though? Cambridge Audio Aero 6 vs Cambridge Audio Aeromax 6 | ⿻ Full Comparison

Last edited:

gibbsy

The main difference between entry level Denons and models from the X3700 upwards is their use of the better Audyssey XT32 and full set of pre-outs that make using them more flexible. The next upgrade comes from the X4700 upwards with the use of the Alpha Processors (AL32) and better components and power supply. From the X6700 upwards the units are built in Japan.

Kopec

Novice Member
From 25+ year's personal experience, I would suggest following upgrade path (reasons)
  1. Add a second matching subwoofer: There is a lot of content on this and US forums explaining how important it is to get a good bass response - which contributes to 80% of our feeling 'Good Sound'
  2. If budget allows, buy a USB microphone & use free REW software to understand how your room is contributing to the frequency response and do some corrections - position of sub/speakers, EQ, etc. Add a minidsp 2x4 to optimise the subwoofers
  3. Only upgrade LCR if you are not happy with the sound (or you know some obvious issues). The general rule of thumb I read was you need to double the budget to get an appreciable benefit (of course this is not scientific). I would suggest reading on ASR forums or any other provides actual measurements of speakers than the paid 5* reviews
  4. If you are serious about 3D sound, replace upfiring speakers with real height/ceiling speakers.
  5. Denon AVC-X3700H is excellent (I owned it previously) for the money, but you are unlikely to get any audible improvement. So consider whether the features are important for you than the 10W power difference.
#1 + #5 will be huge step up as the AVC-X3700H Audyssey XT32 + SubEQ can equalise two independent subs and provide higher resolution corrections in bass. Also you can use the app to customise your target frequency response curves to taste.
Thanks for the detailed response! My BK sub is coming next. My klipsch rp8000fs aren't coming until end of the month though. I'll have to wait until then to see what it all sounds like together haha

Kopec

Novice Member
I am going to sound stupid now, but I assumed the Aeromax 6 was the same as the aero 6. I have just checked and it seems the max version has a stiffer cabinet and also they have the shiny exteriors instead. If you are selling I might be interested, sod's law you won't be local to West Yorkshire in the UK though? Cambridge Audio Aero 6 vs Cambridge Audio Aeromax 6 | ⿻ Full Comparison
Oh shame haha I'm based in Cornwall. Unless you have a holiday planned here 😅

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom