1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More expense? y/n on the scaler front

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bitofatit, May 14, 2005.

1. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm getting a sharp LC37gd1e next week - all good reviews ... but a review in one of the mags concludes that the picture would be improved if a scaler is added in - suggests i-scan (£600 to buy?). Any advice - do i need one? My telly feed is all though sky + or Sony dav 300 home cinema. Do I really need one, if so i need to get my arguments marshalled as I just spent £2,970 on the Sharp TV!! - "she" may not be amused, eeck! :oops:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You don't need a scaler, but you know that you want one :devil:

Seriously though, the picture is going to be good but a digital display is never likely to be the best it can be with its own onboard scaling. A scaler will improve the PQ, but unless you have seen the PQ with a scaler you wont really know what you are missing.

Mark.

3. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    deal of the year is the lower pricing on the Lumagen DVI !!! Go for it tiger...!

dil

4. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the posts - your teasing in intriguing: I think my strategy will be hook up the telly and then try and see one of these Lumagen DVI babies in action. (A quick look suggest £800+, please tell me I wouldn't need the "SDI option" - whatever that is). Any ideas where I can see one in or around Cardiff? Regards B of a T :rolleyes:

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    No you don't need an SDI upgrade!!

SDI = Serial Digital Interface
    SDI is a professional video connection that can be added as an output to some DVD players etc. You can't buy any home equipment with SDI preinstalled (by the manufacturer) as the film companies don't like it as there is no copy protection via SDI. Therefore it is always an after market upgrade.
    SDI is in theory the best possible connection as it carries pure picture data with nothing added or taken away and is connected directly to the output of the MPEG decoding chip. In practice though the difference in PQ between SDI and DVI/HDMI is unlikely to be that noticeable to most people on most equipment.

Mark.

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,484
    With a 37" display it's borderline as to whether the expense of a scaler is justified to be honest, get it all hooked up and see if there's anything you don't like about the picture. Then work out if what you don't like can be fixed by adding a scaler into the equation. Also remember that hidef formats are coming later this year anyway, Sky HD and HD-DVD (or blu ray whatever it turns out to be) and I'd be surprised if you felt you needed a scaler when you've got one of those hooked up to your display! For now perhaps think about something like the Samsung HD950 (or HD850), it will scale dvds to 768p which is the same horizontal resolution of the Sharp, has SACD and DVD-Audio (might or might not be important) , will utilize your Sharps digital DVI input and costs about £130 (see www.digiuk.com). If you still feel you 'need' a scaler try one before committing yourself to the expense! If you feel it's worth the extra outlay then all well and good...
    £3k for a 37" display... blimey it had best be good, I personally would be a bit miffed if I felt I had to add a scaler to that having already paid that much!

Cheers,
    Andy.

8. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    zAndy1, and others,
    like the sound of £130 for a DVD with scaler to squeeze the max out of current DVDs. I'll bide my time for now before considering going the full monty via the Lumagen. It would be helpful if Sky gave out some more info on the amount of HD content and exactly when. Still looking forward to hooking up the new telly on Friday. I've been watching Sky on a 17" CRT panasonic for the last 6 months. Roll on Friday
    Thanks for the info on SDI - still got a lot to learn, and thx for pointing to the latest deal on the Lumagen Gordon (am watching your website!).

Regards
    B ofa T