1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More DV 27 problems

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Laingy, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted a ealier message about my DV27 not playing DVDs. I have since contacted the help desk at arcam who would like to look at the machine. Before I sent it off I switched it with another DVD player and set up the arcam on my TV and not the plasma (through the progressive component outputs). The machine started to work again (showing the arcan screen saver through a scart lead), but only plays region one discs, region 2 get an error.

So it seems the machine will only play region 1 discs through the scart or the non progressive component outputs. It will not recognise region 2 discs and does not display anyhting through the progressive componenet outputs. Not sure how this has happened, but it now seems to be a software issue and not a mechnaical one. Before I contact the helpdesk again, has anyone experienced these problems, or knows how to put them right.

cheers

cameron

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    OPEN DRAWER.
    Press on remote control

Now close drawer

Now press SET UP.

Make sure TV SYSTEM is set to AUTO

Now in your post you say you connected up the PROGRESSIVE component outputs to your TV but then go on to say that it only plays R1 through the scart or non-progressive outputs?

Can you confirm your TV and Plasma accept 576P signals?

I would set HQ analogue out to RGB and try scart to TV to confirm that works. Then I'd set HQ analogue to YPrPb and try the INTERLACED output of that to both devices with r1 and r2 to see what happens. Then I'd do the same with progresive component output. Then tell us what your results were.

Gordon

3. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The tittle of this thread should be:

I DONT KNOW HOW TO SETUP MY DV 27... :nono:

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tittle of this thread should rather be:

inviting lowrider .................. :zonked:

5. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I have no idea when it comes to these things, you sort of expect them to work when they cost that much, and when after 18 months it suddenly doesnt play discs, I have no idea how to fix them.

But Gordon you are a saviour I did all those things and it works perfectly, I still am unsure how it went wrong, as the arcam remote is never used (all done through pronto) and I had to dig it up to access the setup buttons.

But now it outputs component through the progressive outputs and plays region 2 - I can get back to watching alias

Thanks again

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    No offence meant to anybody here, but as retailer this is a situation I come across far to often. There are far too many people out there with loads of dosh to buy the best products on the market but do bother their arses learning how the product works at all, they just expect it to do everything they want it to do a the press of a single button. Then when something minor goes wrong (that had they read the manual they would have sorted in two minutes flat) they go crying to 'Mummy' or the dealer in most cases. I'm not saying the dealer shouldn't provide support but they shouldn't need to 'hand-hold' the customer every step of the way.

7. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Crusty,
    it is as simple as it can be - noone reads the manuals!

I just finnished preparing three brand new manuals for our products , 250+ pages in english (foreign language for me), and it is really sort of sisyphus task, you do it knowing noone is going to read them.....

:oops:

8. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would understand your comments if I had done something wrong, e.g. access the menus but as I stated one day the machine was fine the next day it didnt work, as much as I then re-read the manual it didnt cover that in the FAQ. And as the dealers take 45% of the sale of an expensive piece of kit why shouldnt we use their services, I think it is terrible to think that a dealer to make 45% has to just plug in some pieces of kit and tell you how more expensive cables will improve the sound.

Make them work for their money

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Crusty: If it weren't for those damn customers I bet your life would be so simple.......;)

Laingy: Don't worry not all retailers feel that way :) but we don't take 45%. In my old days ini retail I did have to go see folk with incredibly easy fixes for things they had done...but that's why they bought the big stuff from me iin the first place!

G

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Don't worry Laingy I wasn't referring to you in my last reply, it's quite obvious from your description of the problem that the player is at fault not you. You just got me thinking about some of the customers we've had in the past that don't understand how the equipment works and therefore get totally confused when the slightest thing goes awry.

Gordon is quite right in saying that we don't take 45%. Sure we make quite a bit of money on certain products, mainy two channel stuff, but with the popularity of AV and advent of internet sales the really pricey stuff like plasmas etc are in fact not very profitable at all.

Dealers are there to give you support when you need it but it does help to know the product you've bought in the first place in order to avoid needless phone calls and home visits. I had to do a 30 mile round trip to visit a customer who bought a basic stereo system from us (Rotel RCD-02, Rotel RA-02, Monitor Audio B2). He was experiencing major distortion when playing cds. When I turned up I found he had the CD player plugged in to the Phono input on the amp. DOH. Poor example I know, but it does happen.

Anyway I hope you get your problem sorted out, Arcam are usually very good at sorting out problems with their kit.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Hey Crusty: About 4/5 yrs ago I had an 80 mile round trip on Hogmanny to go to a customers house just to push the POWER button on for his plasma. He'd even called in and been told that his kid had probably just pushed it off but he claimed to have checked it... I walked in pushed button hit SYSTEM ON on the Crestron and walked out. He looked suitably embarrassed. I was angry at the tme but now I just look back on it as a classic story! Gotta laugh.

G

12. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks to everyone for the help. I cannot complain about the help here, unlike some of my friendly Chiswick dealers, who will not return calls unless you are spending £10,000+.

13. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Peanuts,
    some years ago I had to fly from Vienna to Miami just to move one lamp for about 2mm - into the correct position !!!

To be honest I had nothing against this trip, it was middle of freezing winter in the Europe, but it is ridiculous story!