1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More dust blobs on my TX-100!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brain, Jun 2, 2005.

1. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m starting to get disappointed now with projectors. It's maybe the particular model I went for but I thought for a piece of hardware costing a grand we would not have to put up with imperfections and flaws such as appearance of dust blobs after a very short time. The TX-100 was my first projector buy.

It’s a long story, but basically I bought the TX-100 last year and had to get it replaced due to dust blobs all over the place. I got the replacement at the end of January, and now four months later....a dust blob!

I took extra care with the replacement used a dust cover. It seems that dust still gets into the innards despite my best efforts to prevent it. It’s not even a dusty environment.

The most annoying part is that I need to sell the projector by the end of June [I'm moving abroad] - the appearance of a dust blob yesterday has probably reduced the projectors value somewhat.
    So, what should I do? Should I phone up the retailer and ask for repair then sell it, or should I sell it as is?
    It’s only one dust blob, located bottom right of the screen and about the size of a tennis ball.

I know about the possibility of using compressed air - but that could make things worse - blowing compressed air about not only moves the dust from the LCD surface but also moves other dust particles around that might actually end up producing more dust blobs.

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    You simply don't have time to send it away to have it cleaned, if you need to sell by the end of June.. If you are not prepared to use compressed air (which has worked successfully for me and other owners), then sell it with the dust blob in place. The new buyer can then have it cleaned under warranty if necessary.

Dust blobs are a common problem with lower value projectors (£1000 is a lot of money, but is bottom of the market for projectors), and therefore it should not be considered a reason to reduce its value.

If you decide to buy again, perhaps consider the Z3 which has a system in place to remove them.

3. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    UrbanT have u used the z3 and the holes for removing dustblobs? is it effective or do u still have to have a can of air on standby for stubborn blobs?

regards
    jason

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    To be honest, I didn't own it long enough to find out. However, the reports I have read have all indicated it works very well with the supplied blower. Sanyo's have always been easy to remove the lid off as well, whereas the TX makes this almost impossible.

5. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhhhh, So, dust isn't a problem if one can afford a exspensive projector ?, or does Z3 have a 100% blowout success, I think not !

Are you selling or helping ? :nono:

6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    What on earth are you talking about?? What I am supposed to be selling?

7. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to offend, your post I referred to sounded too much like a silent sales pitch, if your not, sorry :hiya:

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    think that was abit uncalled for and unjustified. UrbanT is a valuble member of the projectionist community on here and is always giving out help :mad: :lesson:

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Just to confirm, I have no connection, directly or indirectly, with the AV industry. Like most, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur trying to offer helpful advice (in this case as a previous Z3 owner :))

Perhaps a little research before posting next time :lease:

10. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting back to the topic - how much should I expect for this tx-100? Since its 4 months old and had about 400hrs on the lamp, and the dust blob as described.
    Its still under warrenty so it can be swapped out if needed, for free.
    Maybe its the wrong forum to ask this proce question?

11. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I believe you are likely to get between £725 and £775, perhaps very slightly more.

12. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    UrbanT - Out of interest why did you sell your Z3?

Also how the heckery do you get such solid blacks on the images displayed in your home-cinema? Is that *really* how impressive the Sony PJ is, or is it a by-product of HCPC or something else?

/thread-hijack :)

13. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I actually moved from the TX to the Z3 partly because I was finding dust blobs irritating, and I also just fancied a change. I do think the TX is an excellent projector, with its only major fault being the difficulty of removing blobs The Z3 seemed to fit the bill, although in honesty I really wanted an HS50. You have to bear in mind this was back in December, when there was absolutely zero stock.

The problem with the Z3 was the ‘predator mode’, prior to the new firmware fix coming out. This was also damn irritating, so I rang Nexnix to return it for a refund, as I felt the irritation of dust blobs was a lot less than having the projector freeze regularly.

When speaking to Nexnix re the refund, they asked if there was anything else I was interested in. I told them the only thing I would be interested in was an HS50, but obviously nobody had any stock. By pure coincidence, they had received a couple of units that morning, so I took one, and got what I actually wanted in the first place. I should have waited for the Sony in the first place, but had the cash burning a hole in my pocket!

The blacks on the Sony are excellent, certainly a good indication of the pictures. It’s the Sony that displays the blacks, and are not effected by the HTPC. The HTPC is more beneficial for sharpening and denoise techniques :)

14. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Thanks for the detailed response.

Anyone wanna buy a Z3? (with dodgy pixel!) :rotfl:

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You could advertise it as "unique pixel architecture"

...PJ :D

16. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I've recently attended to the dust blobs on my BenQ DLP projector.

I do understand this it's a really annoying feature of projectors but it's just the stage of technology at the mo.

Besides. It was a 10 min job. Easy.

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Apparently not for the TX!

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

How's the conversion of your 6100 to a Sherman Tank going BTW? ;)

...PJ :)

18. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    LOL. Getting there mate. Will post piccies when I'm done.

19. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Hehe - I've named it now...I've found giving it a personality has enabled me to ignore it easier, like I do with real people. :D