1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More connection bother

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RussJ, Dec 5, 2003.

1. RussJ

RussJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry to raise a connection query again but I really need some advice...
    I read the recent threads (SmokyToby) on the best way to connect up my new E60 to my ancient Panasonic single scart TV and mediamaster 9850(?) freeview box and followed the advice given.

I'm currently using the following set up:

RF
    Aerial>Freeview box>E60>TV

Scart
    Freeview tv socket>E60 AV2>E60 AV1>TV
    Everything set to RGB

I can record from Freeview box and playback/timeslip etc by selecting AV1 on the TV and AV1 on the E60
    I can record from terrestial TV by selecting appropriate channel on E60
    I can view terrestial tv using the tv remote provided the freeview box and E60 are both in standby.

However, I can't view terrestial TV if the freeview box or E60 are switched on. The TV picture breaks up and scrolls sideways and audio seems to be a mixture of two channels!

Any ideas what as to what could be wrong?

Could I use a 2 into 1 scart lead to connect both the E60 output and the freeview box TV output to the single scart on my TV?

Thanks in advance.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sounds like the RF output from the E60 is close to the channels you are trying to watch.

I believe it can be reset by holding the function button down for 5 seconds, this works on the hs2

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    or the freeview rf out put, try changing that

4. sidyal

sidyal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It sounds to me that with your set being an early scart model that the scart is not a fully functioning socket. Early ones (and some current ones) have trouble with rgb. I would suggest that you try setting your e60 and the freeview box to composite and try again. If it is ok then you know it's your set.
    Hope this helps.

5. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As it's terrestial television he's having trouble with, it won't be the scart or RGB.

I would agree that it's either the RF output of the E60 or Freeview box interfering with the terrestial stations.

I would assume that as the E60 is new and presumably(?) the problem was not there before, that it would be the E60 that's causing the problem.

6. sidyal

sidyal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you read the original post it says that the picture looks like a mixture of the two signals, which because one signal is rf and one signal is rgb rules out co-channel interference.

Also the post states that the set is an old one which suggests to me that the scart socket will not be a fully functioning one with full signal switching.
    Some early scarts have trouble dealing with rgb as the internal AV switching circuitry was not designed with this in mind.

They usually have no problem with composite video which is why I suggested changing the settings to composite and trying again. It will tell him whether it is the set or not.
    Signal switching has come a long way since scart was first used on Tv,vcr etc..
    I have come across this numerous times in my AV repair business.
    Hope this helps.

7. RussJ

RussJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tried Sidyals suggestion of switching to composite and all is well (except picture's not as good!).
    Seems like a good excuse to go shopping for a new TV....

Many thanks for your help everyone.