1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More choice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Metric, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately i got to speak with the very knowledgable Chris Frost the other night...unfortunate in a way because he kinda gave me some more food for thought on what i really wanted and changed my mind on projectors i wouldnt even consider. I am going to visit owl but in the meantime as i had a couple of days off i thought id get a head start.

So i sent a batch of emails out to different suppliers asking about demos, restock fees etc, so far two have replied, audio t dont stock the sony? and hispek gave me a three word response. Im yet to hear from many including projactavision and screensuk who i mailed about a month ago and again yesterday, both sponsor this site...

is it me or do companies not value a 4k sale as much?

Mike

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike, some companies are great with response to e-mails. Others not. So, if I were you, I'd ditch the e-mails, & get that old fashioned phone thing out. ;)

3. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    really do hate that phone thing ;)

4. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    hiya
    did you say audio t dont stock the sony ?
    its just that i was in tonbridge wells and they had a sony10ht on the floor which had just ben sold :(
    its sad when customer service falls apart :(

5. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reply-to: Alias <****@audio-t.co.uk>

Mike

Thanks for the email. None of our stores stock this product so we are
    unable to help.

Regards

Wayne

On Saturday, July 7, 2001, Mike wrote:
    >Hi, im trying to get a demo of a sony ht10. Do you
    >have any sites with this projector? or better still do
    >you offer any kind of in home demo?
    >
    >Thanks in advance

6. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Mike,

It looks like I am back on waiting for the new Sony due to the heat factor associated putting the sanyo in a unit. The only reason I was going for this as you can recall was because of the throw distance from where I ( or rather my wife) wanted the projector mounted....i.e...OUT OF SIGHT! I have finally persuaded her that the projector will HAVE TO go on the ceiling ( It will cost me!) and therefore will wait for the new Sony before I make up my mind.

Do you or does anyone know whether the home electronics show at the NEC held in late September is worth a visit and whether any of our little toys will be on demo? It is advertised in all the mags and particularly for those of us in the midlands would be worth a visit ( enmasse?) if it was any good.

What do you think?

Regards

Gary

The Spaniard :)

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had variable success with my various searchings for projectors. Of all those I have been in touch with, I have to give credit to Insight. I am aware that there was some strange goings on as far as advertising illegally on this site, but having been in touch with them since before the incident, they seem alright. I have had replies within hours to each and every email i send, on occasions, 2 or 3 times in a day!

Sorry everyone......i had to defend them!

Adam

8. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heat problems? just thought it needed plenty of ventilation? im still trying to get a demo of the sony, sanyo or ellie...but still no emails

Mike

9. OldEngland

OldEngland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recent bought the 10HT, I know how difficult it is getting a demo (especially if you want to see 2 projectors back to back). Audio T in Reading gave me a demo of the 10HT (back in April) but said it was the only projecter they stocked.

W2FM were able to give me a demo of the Sony 10HT, the Sanyo PLV30 and the Toshiba MT1. They also had an HT200 in the demo room, but it was out of my price range so it wasn't switched on.

Good Luck

10. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Interesting, I've just bought a HT10 from Audio-T in Swindon.

I looked at 3 projectors they could get hold of a Davis (in store setup) and they leant me a Sony and Sanyo for a week to play with at home and a portable screen (I just left my credit card imprint as deposit).

So it seems strange them now saying none of their stores sell the Sony, maybe you should go and hassle them, or depending on where you live try the Swindon store.

Cheers

Slingshot

11. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just come back from a great demo of the HT10 at the Audio T store in High Wycombe. Having had a poor demo before, I did not expect much, however I was staggered by the picture quality and I couldn't find much wrong with the blacks either. The source was component output from the Arcam DVD player and the screen was a Vutec.

Having rejected this projector previously, it is now firmly back on the list, just as I thought I was getting sorted.

12. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to get a demo from Sound Academy, great guys, let me watch for a good hour, tried gladiator, crouching tiger, r1,r2 toystory 2.

It all looked good, though it did look a little washed out but there was lots of ambient light.

It has the throw i need for the screen i would like but i could see the pixels on some motion about 10 feet away on a 7 foot screen.

All that said i could happily live with one, i got prices for an owl screen, 12v trigger, component lead, ceiling mount...but they wanted £4,750 for the projector.

I would really like to do business with these guys, as Chris Frost pointed out, they shell out for demos etc but the unit is £3,750 on the web with £4,000 being common eveywhere else. It have the plv60 and the 11ht to contend with and £1000 is quite a lot of difference...i dont know.

The plv60 is still there, promising better black but with less throw and no 12v trigger, then theres the ellie which screensuk appear to not want to sell and then theres the sim2's which are getting good things said about them.

Mike

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Did you drop in on my work?

Iwas out in London installing during monday, and we don't have any projectorsd on demo due to restricted av space. We still do high end stereo gear so that takes precidence, but we can get most of the projectors, including the Sanyo PLV 30.

14. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i live in the midlands, i had today and yesterday off, was kinda hoping to use them constructively...but never mind.

screensuk and projectavision are yet to reply. Ive forwarded comments to audio t at swindon to see what the truth is.

I know i could call, but these companies chose to go with ecommerce...thats more than just an ordering system.

Mike