1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

more ceiling mount questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Matinee, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, an accurate cardboard model of a BG1208s chassis went on my ceiling again last week. The PJ is barely visible from outside my house, unless you're right up against the window, and projecting to the wall opposite the window rather than under the window is fine.

Questions about temperature and vibration:

The PJ will have to be mounted about 20-30cm (maybe slightly more) from the window to achieve a 7ft screen. A radiator extends about 10cm from the wall. Is this significant re temperature changes and warnings about being close to radiators - I imagine it's ok, as the bottom of the PJ is 6ft above the ground.

Vibration - I'm in a new (Barratt) house, and as per new houses it's not pure brick, featuring wall insulation and wotnot. There are still occasionally large diggers going past the house (development is almost, but not quite complete) which tend to vibrate the ground a bit, although not to the point of e.g. moving ornaments.

I accept that with sufficient vibration the convergence will drift, I'm just checking that the projector would not actually be damaged. From the looks of things, the BG series are a tad industrial and would be very resilient?

Now all I need to do is sort out the blackout blinds with respect to the new position of the projector, and probably change the curtains from the current pole type to a smaller (sticks out by 8cm or so) and easier to close type.

Ah yes, probably need to change the light fitting too, it's about a foot to the left and 2.5 feet in front of the PJ, sticking down by 20-25cm or so. Joy. Still, I will get this PJ installed, sometime soon.

PK

2. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yes, few (very poor quality, taken with wireless webcam) pictures:

http://www.bofh.ly/proj06.jpg - 'projector' with light nearby. side view. (Those objects on the fireplace are wooden cats).

http://www.bofh.ly/proj08.jpg - 'projector' front view, tilted up to see front properly.

http://www.bofh.ly/proj09.jpg - 'projector' front view, shown above sofa. The bottom is 6'2" above the ground.

The 'projector' is a large piece of cardboard, with four cardboard legs and paper taped to the sides so that you cant see through it. Bit heath robinson, but it works to prove the concept.

PK

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Radiator is not so much of a problem however it will throw hot air up to where the projector is, which will cause it to draw hot air in and make the fans work harder. But the heat coming out of the projector will mean you will not need the radiator on any how.

Love the projector cut out :cool: Valerie Singleton would be proud of you.

I guess the heating is off at the moment so it's not going to be a problem till winter.

The vibration from rooms above will not be an issue. Most Aircraft simulators around the world use projectors based on the Barco 808 1208/9 with very little adaption. They shake the projectors a whole lot more than your average athletic lover in the bedroom.:blush: Perhaps this is why so many people build dedicated rooms away from the house. ( I know that's what I had to do;) )

4. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *laugh* :) It's certainly better to stick up cardboard than mount the projector and then be unhappy with it.

Yes, the heating is currently off.
    *grin* Well, one reason that I reconsidered mounting on the ceiling is because that way there's enough room to site three people in an ideal viewing position, with it on the floor there's only enough room for me, and the sofa at the side - it's not ideal.

Given the choice between convergence and *ahem* testing the ceiling's sturdiness, I think I'd rather become somewhat competent with the convergence grid ;)

In any case thank you for the information, and I will be e-mailing you probably early next week or a bit sooner to take things further.

PK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.