More Burn-in!! Tips for Increasing Image Retention?!

AC1000

Novice Member
I expect this is a very unusual request on this forum... I'm a video artist currently experiment with ways to increase burn-in / image retention to create (more or less) lasting ghost images on plasma screens. I have a few working ideas:
  • Long duration exposure of high contrast, still image
  • Cover the screen or parts of the screen with reflective material
  • Increase power output to screen
These ideas are based on my rudimentary understanding of how plasma screens work and what normally causes image retention. In thinking of ways to speed up or "improve" that process, I expect that there are some software adjustments or hacks more elegant than my manual tweaks. I would love to get some feedback on the list above and hear your other suggestions.

I'm currently playing with a Panasonic TX-P42S10E.

mikej

The first option is probably the best and easiest if you want permanent 'screen burn' - put your chosen image on screen and ramp up the colours and contrast to max and turn up the brightness. The 'Vivid' picture mode would be a good starting point. Then leave the TV on for a while - at least a few days I would think.

Just be aware that image retention may disappear with further use, but proper 'screen burn' will be permanent.

AC1000

Novice Member
Thanks @mikej. Yeah I think that makes sense. Any tips on how to tweak the system so that it doesn't automatically dim the screen?

mikej

Any tips on how to tweak the system so that it doesn't automatically dim the screen?
I doubt plasmas of that generation had too many features like that but a quick look through the menu should tell you. I would turn off any eco settings and automatic screen off / inactivity timers for starters.

5morris

As long as you don't have everything turned up to overkill such as colour and brilliance, you should be fine.
Our TX-P42G10 is just over 11 years old and still going strong. No screen burn at all. Running those screen colour purity tests from YouTube shows a perfect screen on all colours.

mikej

As long as you don't have everything turned up to overkill such as colour and brilliance, you should be fine.
Our TX-P42G10 is just over 11 years old and still going strong. No screen burn at all. Running those screen colour purity tests from YouTube shows a perfect screen on all colours.

If you read the original post again, the OP actually wants to cause screen-burn intentionally ! :D

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I would have thought the older the set the better. I have one with a company name burnt in. Seems it was on all day displaying their logo down one side and although you can only see it when the screen is certain pale colours, it's never cleared up at all. So a static image displayed for long periods should certainly work for you eventually. Might be costly in electricity though!

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom