1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Budget!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by richturd01, Aug 4, 2003.

1. richturd01

richturd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Besides the hitachi's and Panasonic models my other half has put a limit on my wallet after she saw the plasmas on Richer sounds!

SAMSUNG PS42P2S £2100

LG MZ42PZ17 £2300

LG MZ42PZ24 £2300

I have heard hteres problems with the LG's but whats the difference between the two models above? Is the SAMSUNG any good or even worse?

She has limited me because I will need to buy a stand and new unit, lol :nono:

2. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I saw the LG PZ14 was better than the Samsung, and the PZ17 is better than the PZ14. However read the threads about problems with LG plasmas. You might have a problem, you might not notice it. Give the screen a good demo in Richer Sounds first.

mike

3. richturd01

richturd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers!

think i will have to shell out a little more money and buy a beeter model, not sure which one to go for really:

hitachi 42pma400e £2499.95

panasonic th42pw5b £2799.95

? Unless any one knows of an even better one than these two or better prices.

Prices i found on these above are from richer sounds!

4. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i think both nex nix and av sales do the 5 series pannie cheaper

jason

5. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate

yes you really should forlk out an extra 200 quid for the hitachi 400e if i was you, the difference on that model compared to the one you mentioned is unblievable, "i posted a thread my Hitachi 400e arrived today yeehaa" on there it has some advice on building your own stand for about 10 quid like i did so go check it out.:)

regards

wiry:smoke:

6. richturd01

richturd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx, sorry if i'm boring anyone with this thread, this has been discussed but these are costing us hard earned cash.

The cheapest icould find the basic stand was about £170 for the hitachi i think?

7. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes 170 ish bloody expensive for what it is, i could`nt bring myself to spendng that much on one, especally when the hitachi manual surgests you not only screw the stand into the base it stands on but also tie the back of it to the wall, via a wire cable

but as you say its alot of money and you dont want it to fall over coz o the stand you made, that comes down to how well your other DIY has lasted round the house:)

hope you find a bargin, then tell ether JL or richersounds and get a price beat, that way it nearly pays for your stand

good luck and happy hunting

regards
    wiry

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The Lg17 is a much better screen that the 14 and Samsung (14 & Samsung have similar contrast and brightness levels). It has almost double the contrast ratio for starters and superior brightness.

I had the Samsung originally but after 2 faulty ones got the LG 17.

You can get the Hitachi & Panny 5 panels for the same sort of money now so demo carefully. At the end of the day £200 in £3000 is neither here nor there.

I still say it is in the setup mine looks great. If it didnt it would have gone back by now believe me I am fussy.

If you read back through the threads there are numerous posts about faults with just about every panel out there. Thats why I think setup with these things is so imprtant and the fact that spending £3000 makes you quite rightly fussy.