1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

more Bathroom speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Triggaaar, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Requirement:
    1) In ceiling
    2) Bass more important than quality - but neither essential
    3) Obviously moisture resistant

I've searched this forum, and the most suitable ceiling speaker I've seen is the Boston DSi 255, but at $150 a pair, plus carriage and tax, it's a little more than I'm wanting to spend.

On ebay, there's the Sony MP61mk2 (search unders speakers for bathroom). They're discontinued on amazon, but it looks like they're a car speaker. And there's several of those on amazon, which could be quite good (the Kenwood have ultra low Hz rating, which may not be accurate, and include lots of distortion, but in a bathroom, is probably better than a quality speaker that only goes to 75Hz). Any idea if any car speakers are moisture resistant?

For my particular application, I want one ceiling speaker over the shower, and the other somewhere under the sink (strange I know). I'm wondering if there's any reason why I shouldn't have 2 different speakers (one in ceiling, the other more standard)? Obviously their sound wouldn't match, but since one will be playing into a glass shower unit, it's hardly important. What maybe more important is whether it could cause damage if an amp is driving 2 different speakers (I guess I should just make sure they're both the same ohm rating).

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    perhaps a sonance 622XSTR is what you need (streo single) unit for over shower, must be an evrionmental unit for this app and will die quickly anyway (dont skimp) for under sink look for an inwall eqivalent (or put another over the sink)

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Cheers HD. I couldn't find the XSTR, but found other stereo single units by sonance at hifistore, from £120 for the single. Probably a good idea, but I assumed sound quality while I'm standing under a shower was of little importance, so I have only run 1 cable to above the shower. I guess I'll have it on mono. And I'm not sure it's worth spending that much.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Looks like that'll be good for some, but at £316 at hifibitz it's too much for me. And I haven't run 2 cables, so have to go std speaker. For those interested in a single stereo speaker, there's also the DSi455T2 from Boston Acoustics for $200 (plus shipping & VAT). Probably not up to the extreme conditions as the Sonance, but it's designed to be ok for bathrooms.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    Anymore recommendations for bathroom speakers, i need a pair for my bathroom, while i have the loft up.