1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Bad News!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by soni, Dec 7, 2004.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not sure if anybody is aware of this - as i've not been browsing this forum for the last few days - but I've just stumbled upon the following news article which everybody considering the purchase of a DLP rear projection should be aware of.

Looks like Sagem Axium owners might have a big problem ahead!

Both the Optoma RD50/65 and Sagem Axium are now out of MY EQUATION.

Looks like the Tosh might be the best choice afterall - i certainly like the look!

NEWS:-

More news has reached us about Sky’s proposed launch of high definition programming in 2006 – and what we’re hearing will send shockwaves throughout the AV industry.

Some of the information BSkyB revealed during a recent presentation to the Digital Interoperability Forum in Brussels seems pretty positive. For instance, BSkyB apparently announced that its service and HDTV decoder box will support BOTH 720p/50Hz AND 1080i/25Hz high definition formats, rather than just going with 720p as was previously anticipated. The choice of which HD format will be used for which HD programme is apparently going to be left to the platform’s individual broadcasters.

However, it was when discussing how the HD signal would be delivered from the Sky decoder box to a projector/plasma TV/LCD TV that the bombshell emerged, as Sky stated that the vast majority of HDTV programming will only be viewable if carried via HDMI or DVI connections that support the HDCP digital rights protection system. In other words, if your projector or flat panel screen only has component video inputs or an HDMI/DVI jack NOT compatible with the HDCP system, it will not show the majority of Sky’s HD services.

Sky has long been troubled by how to stop people copying its broadcasts illegally, so perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised that it's jumping at the chance to use HDCP. But the ramifications of the decision are huge for us punters, as countless flat panel TVs and projectors that don’t have the necessary digital connectivity are already proudly installed in people’s homes, presenting the buyers with the nightmare scenario of having to upgrade by 2006 a screen they thought would last them for many, many years.

There are also many screens/projectors in shops right now that don’t have the necessary connectivity, so if you’re thinking of buying one for Christmas – or whenever! – all we can do is stress in the strongest terms that you try and choose one with an HDCP-compliant HDMI or DVI jack.

AND TO THINK I WAS GOING TO PURCHASE THE AXIUM ONLY A MONTH AGO - ONLY THE WIFE STOPPED ME - SHE DIDN'T LIKE THE DESIGN - WHAT A STAR!!

2. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    A source from Sagem has said that an upgrade will be available for the Sagem after christmas, which will be an engineer installation. Free of charge too by all accounts.

Am still over the moon with my SAGEM, there wasnt a great deal of DLP TVs to choose from at the time, but I wasnt goping to settle for the OPTOMA, not if there plasma screens are anything to go for, and have only ever had bad luck with TOSHIBA tvs, so SAGEM it was!!

MOSE

3. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mose, you have settled for an Optoma. The Sagem is a european version of the Optoma RD50.

4. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mose

Who exactly did you speak to from Sagem who confirmed that an upgrade would be available? This is good news indeed!!

Regards

Ashley

5. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry Mose, have just read the other thread.

Cheers

Ashley

6. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest you call Sagem help desk (0870 2488227). They confirmed the existance of the HDCP upgrade to me. The ever so helpful Tim Cuthbertson asked me for my serial number, so I could be registered for the upgrade now. He has been told that they are hoping it will be done before the end of January.
    From what I have read, adding HDCP is actually not such a big deal.
    Certainly wouldn't stop me from recommending the Axium 100%

Phil

7. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Phil, I'll give Tim a call tomorrow.

Regards

Ashley

8. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Have just called into COMET to pick up some TVs for my kids for Xmas, and got talking to a sales guy there about HDCP compliancy. Acting like I was completely clueless, he actually said that SAGEM would be providing a free upgrade to its customers in the new year, exactly when he wasnt sure about. He also said to send the gurantee thing off as well cos SAGEM will inform customers of upgrades in due course.

Sooo....it seems like this will make 2005 an already bareable new year :laugh:

Neelix Have only just been made aware of this. Although, I will admit, had I known...it would definately not have affected the choice I made in buying the AXIUM.