1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunts vs Missions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by FTP, Oct 10, 2004.

1. FTP

FTP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you guys may have noticed, I recently opened a thread asking about what would be the best speaker set to complement my current HC equipment, these being a Yamaha DSPAX 620 AV receiver and a Pioneer DV-636 DVD player (not exactly stellar components but that is what I can afford right now).

After days of intensive research, dealer searches and enticing second hand offers, I am trying to decide between the Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus set and the Mission FS2 AV.

I have read some very favorable reviews about the Mordaunts; however, I have just realized that the Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus system and the Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere Plus system are two different systems entirely. This means I was reading the reviews on the later and considering buying the former.

Keeping that in mind, between these Missions (http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/910) and these Mordaunts (http://www.petertyson.co.uk/mspremiere.shtml) - the Premiere Plus version - which would you choose? They are the same price. (The Avants start from close to £400).

Quite a dilemma indeed. Hope you can help. Thank you so much everyone.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    As sound is more important than looks then go for MS over lifestyle NXT based missions

3. FTP

FTP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard loud and clear HornyDragon. Definitely not going for the Missions after what you told me. Now, if only I could find Tons of Fun...

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    I have your PM as well but I might as well reply here. The difference between the older Premieres and the "Avant" one is stylistic more than anything else. There is a new cabinet edge and a driver surround but they sound very similar- indeed as far as the engineers are concerned they are identical so really it doens't make a huge difference. Older packs are in cherry and graphite (and rarely black as well) while newer units are in maple and vanadium. The big difference is the sub- I would really encourage you to look at getting a "plus" version of either the new or the old type as the 309 sub is a big step forward over the old 308 and won a group test in its own right.
    Ed