Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mordaunt Short

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sks, Jul 11, 2004.

1. sks

sks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would I notice much difference going from 902 Sig to 914? And what's better, 904 Avant or 914 ?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Yes, provided that your room is of a reasonable size to allow the 914's a bit of space. The 904 would make more sense if the room is quite small as it is about two thirds the size of the 914. I would suggest a room of at least 3 by 3 metres for the 914. Both speakers would represent a step up from the 902 sig.

3. sks

sks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always thought my 902's were pretty good. I have a bust cone on one of them now, can you supply parts or fix so I can sell it.

Can you tell me which is better out of the 914 and 904 because I have plenty of room, or are they just the same but floorstanding / bookshelf versions of the same ?

Is it worth going for the 906 over the 914 ?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Your retailer will supply all the bits or fit them for you.

The isn't really an answer to that as they both have strengths and weaknesses. The 904 is a two way floorstander with the 5.25in driver (newer version of your 902 one) whilst the 914 is also a two way design that uses the bigger 6.5in driver in a much larger cabinet (about 25cms taller and proportionally bigger). The 914 thrives on being driven hard whilst the 904 is a more delicate sounding loudspeaker. I would really encourage a listen before parting with your hard earned.

Again it could be. The 906 is a better looking effort than the 914 and has a better mid range but doesn't sound (to these ears) as natural as the 914.