1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short Vs AEGISEVO 3B speaker packages!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by videonasty, Nov 4, 2004.

1. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Can someone please give me some advice, on the following packages. I can get the AEGISEVO 3B & the following Mordaunt Short speakers: (in a package)

Mordaunt Short MS914
    Mordaunt Short MS903A
    Mordaunt Short Avant MS309
    Mordaunt Short MS905A

I can get them for the same price & on looking at reviews, they seem to be neck & neck, but I love opinions, so be very opinionated, which is the better package & why? :thumbsup: :confused:

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    This is a toughie, both packages are great, my preference would lean towards the Mordaunt Shorts as I prefer the look, sound quality wise, there is hardly anything in it in my opinion.

This is dependant on amp though, if you have a neutral amp, then either package will do, but, if you have a bright amp, then I think the Evo's would be a better buy, if you have a warm amp, then the Mordaunt Shorts would be the better buy.

I had the 914's, 903's and 905 running with a Marantz SR7400, and loved it, I've upgraded them all now though, but they will always have a soft spot with me :D

3. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The amp I'm looking at is the Yamaha DSP-AX750SE.

What do those terms mean? :thumbsup: :confused:

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The Yamahas are fairly neutral, so either package would do :(, I know, it isn't easy.

I think it is all going to come down to price and availibility. Both packages are great, I think the 914's will give you a bit more on the dynamics front due to their larger cabinets, but not by that much over the Evo's, and the Evo's could counter with being a bit faster and tighter, again, not by much.

Both speaker packages need a LONG running in time though.

I know Dfour has the Evo's running with a Yamaha RXV1400, and he loves that combination. This choice is a difficult one, the only way to decide is to probably go for a demo.

5. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

6. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +226
    Where I work we, up until recently, carried MS. I tried the exact system up against the Evos through the RX-V750 and for me, no competition, the Acoustic Energy's are "heaps" better! More involving, cleaner, detailed and a touch of finesse! Of course I am biased as I run a pair of the AE Evo3's in my 2-channel setup! I'm not disputing the quality of the MS system, I just found the AE pipped it to the post, more so while running music in Pure Direct mode via the 750. In Australia, MS struggle as they are predominantly sold in "supermarket" style stores, which is ultimately why we phased out the brand. By contrast, we are the only Western Australian dealer for AE and as a result its one of our biggest selling floor speakers.
    Anyways, just my 2 cents.
    Markie Boy

7. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    All opinions welcome. :thumbsup: