1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mordaunt short thx v`s m&k 7`s & 4`s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by thekingbeyond, Apr 20, 2005.

1. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I currently have the mordaunt short 500 series THX Select speaker System, over on the classifieds there are 3 m&k k7`s and 4 m&k k4`s, would moving to the mk`s be an upgrade or a sideways move?
    I would also need a sub as the mordaunts have 2 built in.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't suppose that there is much in it quality wise but if you can stretch to a bit more there are a set of M&K S85 and K4 speakers in the classifieds here which are a cut above the K range.

He is even selling an SVS sub too and rumour has it that SVS and M&K go very well together :D

3. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    m&k 7 is no where near Mordaunt short as speaker package. M&S will play loud when required bringing you close to action where as M&K falls short in loudness department when you expect them to go loud, M&K are boxy speaker and they are bit harsher then M&S and way too over priced for what they offer in performnce So in nutshell if it was my money I would go for M&S again then going M&K again.
    M&S yes yes. M&K no no. :)

4. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    You're dead set against the M&K's aren't you?! If it were my money, i'd spend it on the M&K's, no question. Do you play any louder than Reference Level? Would be interesting to hear what amplifier you heard them with, as it was probably the amps fault......

5. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    No I am not against M&K's what I said is based on my past experience because I used to own both of these packages, I don't listen above Reference level either. M&K K7 package is considered as entery level package from M&K and where as M&S 500 THX package is much serious package yet it cost lot less and I am %100 positive it out performs K7 easily since K7package is from lighter wieght catgory, it would be foolishness to expect Antonio Brera to knock out Klitchko.
    M&S 500 closest rival or better performer from m&k would be M&K850 or 750 package. I am not saying K7 is bad package but come on IMHO it doesn't justify £850 without subwoofer whereas M&S 500 THX would cost about same with 2 subwoofers.