1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short Sub MS309 - Humming?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by billym, Oct 28, 2005.

1. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Mordaunt Short Premiere set from Peter Tyson very recently; excellent speakers and great customer service.

Unfortunately I experienced a problem with the MS308 sub which emitted a fairly loud humming noise even when freestanding and not connected to the amp (Denon 2106) so not a ground-loop issue. Humming level increased when phase set to 180. Returned to Peter Tyson who tested and confirmed the issue however tried a few other MS308's which did the same thing so a replacement MS308 is not an option for me.

My problem is that both my wife and son have hearing problems - oversensitivity to noise (hyper-acusis) so I need a quiet room and don't want to have to turn the sub off every time we are using it.

I'm considering alternative options - number 1 on my list being the MS309 however don't want to suffer the same problems. I'd appreciate feedback from any MS309 owners regarding whether you have any "humming" issues with your sub.

Thanks

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    couple of things you can try

firstly, a decent screened interconnecting cable
    secondly, a decent IEC mains lead. I had a Tannoy subwoofer that hummed like mad when a decent mains lead wasn't used. Something like a Russ Andrews Classic is a good one, for £30-50.

3. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rozzar - the MS308 hummed without being connected to the amp (I used a high quality shielded IXOS inter-connect anyway). Do you have the MS309 and, if so, any humming issues with it?

4. bad ass

bad ass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the same problem with my REl Q150mk2, when there's just the mains connected there is a humm, is it the main?? sorry to Hijack the thread

5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    mains lead then. Russ Andrews does a 28day moneyback thing. Also worth looking on ebay for Black RHodium Supermains 25 bargains. They retail for £60ish but go for around half that, maybe less.

6. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With my 309 turned to maximum with the amp on mute and my ear right up against it I can't hear a thing. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with that :)

7. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, many thanks guys - MS309 now ordered to change my set-up to the Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere Plus, looking forward to it. :thumbsup: