1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt-Short speakers with Rotel amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GFS AV, Apr 13, 2005.

1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just created a thread in the integrated amps forum regarding this, and another amplifier matter.

I am thinking of adding a Rotel RA-02 to my existing AV system of Yamaha 640SE amp and Mordaunt-Short Avant setup (906, 905c, 902).

I am concerned whether the Rotel will be a good match for my speakers. I have been informed by Rotel that their amps tend to be 'bright' and 'up front'. Problem is, so are my speakers. So I am thinking this may be a bad match.

Can anyone else advise on this please.

Thanks!

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Thought I'd answer this here Greg as opposed to your PM as this way it goes "on record" so to speak. Rotel amps aren't hugely bright as such but they are quite forward in their presentation which can lead to an overly bright presentation with our speakers. Tonally it isn't going to be completely similar to the Yamaha either. At this price point my choice in this regard would be the NAD 352CT as at a similar price, the power output, tonality and general "sound type" are very similar to the Yamaha and it sounded pretty sweet with the Avant stuff last time I heard it.

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, doubt i'll find a C352 for £150 though, which is how much the Rotel is. But you're right, from what I have read the NAD will give a similar warm sound to the Yamaha. BTW did you read my thread in the amp section? Will I be able to adjust the volume of the main speakers from the Yamaha ok, even though it's the stereo amp which will be running them? Thanks a lot.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    With the Rotel, not easily, with the NAD it is simple as it has a power in which slaves it to the Yamaha when that input is selected which is another reason to commend it.

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm, sounds good.

If only the Musical Fidelity X80 was more powerful. Dont know whether you've seen that one or heard it in action, but it's been dramaticaly reduced by Musical Fidelity and they are now available for as little as £250! From £6-700! They seem like tidy little pieces of kit. Spoke to musical fidelity earlier today. The reason they are so cheap is just that they didnt take off, and they have excess stock. The way he descibed it though, I don'e think it's suitable to go with my Yamaha. The quoted figures of 55w/85w, is actually when using it as 1 channel only. As a stereo amp, they say it only outputs about 40wpc. Having said that it's meant to be VERY powerful 40wpc. But I get the impression it'll run out of steam well before my Yamaha :( Such a bargain too!

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Last time anybody did an "all channels measured" run on the 640 I think it was about 48wpc so I wouldn't worry too much............

............got you thinking now haven't I? ;).

7. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: yes.

I would have guessed more like their quoted 85wpc! This thing, allbeit in a smallish room, just keeps on pushin till my ears hurt! :confused: Have you heard any of MFs gear???

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Yep- nice but not quite my cup of tea- could well be yours though. Wattage is a confusing issue. My Fathers Naim AV2/ Castle Rig can go unbearably loud on 50w so I can well believe the Yamaha is doing a similar stunt.

9. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, this is looking quite tempting now - your fault ;) How would you describe the soundof their gear? Warm? Bright? In your face? Laid back? Anything at all like Yamahas amps? Please have a look at this link http://www.musicalfidelity.com/mf/en/Products/XSeries Is there sufficient connectivity to use with my Yamaha??