Mordaunt short speakers & Denon amp. Cable overkill?

nipbiplip

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This is essentially another 'is this cable ok?' thread, but I didn't want to hijack someone else's

I have a Denon 1909 amp running MS 916i fronts, 905 centre and wall mounted 302 rears

I'm going to upgrade the cabling for the lot

I need 2x 10m for the rears, 2x 2m for the fronts and 1m for the centre

I was looking at the 322 strand eBay cable that gets mentioned a lot on these here forums, but I'm also tempted by the 2.5m Van Damme blue

Essentially it's the difference between spending £20 or £60

Would I hear the difference?

Indeed, is there any difference?

Thanks in advance

322 strand! :eek:

I don't know about being able to hear a difference, but I'd hazard that you are going to find it difficult to actually get the speaker terminals to accept such a thick cable?

79 strand should be enough and doubt anything more than this will make any noticeable difference. You don't really need heavy duty cabling for the rears because fewer low frequencies are sent there and it is these frequencies that benefit from thicker cabling. The fronts don't need heavy duty cabling because of the relatively short runs required. There's a point at which the thickness of the wire becomes irrelevant in relation to signal if the distance is below a certain length.

I'd personally tend to opt for the more expensive Van Damme blue, but any cable up to 79 strand or 2.5mm will be adequate ;)

I'm quite tempted by the van damme, I'll admit

Just a bit concerned that I'd be spending 60 sheets on a possible placebo effect!

I'm quite tempted by the van damme, I'll admit

Just a bit concerned that I'd be spending 60 sheets on a possible placebo effect!

The audio differences will be negligible, but the van damme will be less conspicuous and easier to install. If anything else then I'd buy it simply for those reasons. It is a popular budget cable and I've yet to see a bad comment made about it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom