1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short Premiere

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ste_hewson, Jan 8, 2002.

1. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know much about these little babies, like how would they compare with the mission cinema 6 pack or Yamaha NSP-220?!

Or does anyone know where I could find a review of them online?!

Ta muchly! :)

2. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I too have been looking at these but can find no reviews whatsoever - would be interested if anyone had an opinion that has them or has tried them out in a shop.

Ste - have you managed to find anything on these yet yourself?

Cheers
    :confused:

3. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no not yet. tried a shop in victoria but they've only got one set and haven't set them up. so still looking. have heard the bigger brothers in two shops and they don't sound too bad. though they were lively but leightweight in one shop. and a bit dull and deep in the other. so still no better off really.

4. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Cheers Steve

Got nowhere near me that does them - am wanting for a small room and to be used for movies but would also like some decent music performance as well.

5. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same as!

my lounge is around 12'x13' with a working area of around 12'x10' due to stairs. would quite like the KEF 2005 eggs as i've heard these and they're quite nice, but they're also out of my price range which is up to around £350

I'm going to investigate further to try and get a listen to the Premiere - i haven't given up hope just yet!!

6. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Thanks Steve

Would value any opinions you have on these - same sort of size room and want to be able to use for music as well as movie so don't need to add more funiture with a hi-fi.

I've looked all over the net and can find loads of press releases saying that marantz have taken over distribution in the US but no tests or opinions anywhere.:rolleyes:

7. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    partial breakthrough boss my freind!

have been offered a two week home trial of the mordaunt with full refund if i'm not happy.

i'm also testing the mission cinema 6 on sat and have heard the mission cinema 71/72 which may be my back up plan if all else fails. hey, at least they're award winners!!

anyway boss, i'll let you know how the mordaunt sound after i pick them up on sat. probably take a fair few hours to run them in but i should get a pretty good idea after a week or so.

8. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Cheers Steve

Look forward to your reviews of them all. Its very much appreciated.
    Tim:D

9. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have now got a set in my lounge. am still running them in and experimenting with the positions of the sub and the rears. The sub appears to work best towards the front of the room, otherwise some localisation is apparent.

So far, though I note they are still running in, i'm not all that impressed. details are much clearer in the surrounds and bass is deeper than I had before (which consisted of aiwa midi system speakers for the fronts with yamaha micro system speakers for the rears - no centre, no sub) but the bass seems either not powerful enough at the top end or too boomy at the low end. The midrange feels compressed also, but am hoping this will open up after running in. The treble is good, if a little excited.

Stereo listening is acceptable but bass does seem a little detatched.

More time will tell really on this package.

10. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Thanks Ste for that - look forward to an update after you've run them in. I'm going out on Saturday and having a demo of the Mission 72 pack. I've been checking on-line reviews and am also now interested in the Monitor Audio baby package as well - gets a good write up on www.home-entertainment.co.uk

Budget is a bit bit tight (£600 at most, well I suppose it depends really, might be able to stretch a bit further - you know how these things go) and I'm not much of an Audiophile so think I'll do a bit of shopping around - bit stuffed really as theres not many Audio shops around here.

Also have been reading up on the Wharfedale Diamond 8s and the B&W 300 series, will take my time this go around choose carefully.

Look forward to any further news on them and also the Mission stuff you were going to try....the update is very much appreciated...

Anybody else.....any more recommendations that I should be looking at? feel like I'm getting somewhere now...:)

11. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 72 pack does sound nice. if I was to give criticism, the centre and rears are not quite a perfect match for the 72 fronts. they're not quite as full sounding, being plastic enclosures and having smaller bass drivers. but this is only minor. the centre will gel very nicely on top of a tv too!!

i'm still considering this package myself, though if i could live with the size of the centre, the 77 series would be a better choice i feel. can get the 77c1, 771e and 77ds from richers for £300. considering these should sell for £600 they'll sound better than the 72 pack, which is after all, a budget speaker pack.

12. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Will check those out as well - cheers Steve.

Its a bloody minefield this speaker mallarky - trying to find the best possible sound in the smallest possible package. The shop I'm off to on Saturday deals with quite a few manufacturers so will ask the guys in there as well. :rolleyes:

13. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you seen the review of the mordaunt short premiere on home-entertainment.co.uk ?!

if your budget streches to £750 the KEF 2005 eggs are nice speakers, and very open sounding with music. centre channel vocals are a little congested with movies but that could have been partly to do with the disc I was watching.

14. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Yeah - it was the first review of the MS pack I'd found - thats where i picked up on the Monitor Audio set as well in the same group test. Been looking at the KEF stuf for some time - seem to hundreds of threads on them on here and DVDForums hardware spot. Just thought they would be out of my budget range but you never know. The shop also has KEF so will maybe look at them also - but probably in a look but don't touch sort of way (GF will be with me at the time......):D

15. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea I know the feeling!! :cool:

I managed to pick up the Mordaunt short for £350 which is obviously much lower than the monitor audio's.

16. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Bloody Hell - £350 - where from???

I've only seen them at £499.99 and that was including Richer Sounds......:eek:

17. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check your private messages. haven't posted it in case it's a cock up on their part and it gets noticed. you'd have to be quick.

18. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Star man......you've fallen on your feet with that one alright:D

19. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea that's what I thought :D

ran them some more last night, they ARE getting better. It is going to be very difficult to tell their true potentional, at the moment i'm only using a budget kenwood av amp and my panasonic DVD player as the CD source. So the next step is a better AV amp and a dedicated CD player. Gonna try and borrow a fairly decent stereo amp and CD player before my home trial is up, just to see if that helps things.

20. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I'm using the Marantz DV4100 OSE player and Marantz SR5200 receiver and know from the mrantz site that they are the distributors in the US for this system, thats why I was interested in them. We only have a small from room so raw power is not particularly required, clarity and 'warmth' is my main concern.

thanks for updating me Steve

21. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're welcome. Glad I can pas something on.

i'm sure they would work much better with a decent marantz set up like yours. That set up would be an ideal set up for me also. Unfortunately i've bought my kit in stages without really thinking too much about surround sound until now. The amp was dirt cheap and gave me a decent improvement over 2 channel sound and has done me over a year now. i'm not too keen to replace my DVD player for a new model. So I may add a cd player for around £200 something like the NAD C521. Though i've read that your marantz dvd actually slightly suppasses the NAD cd player for music duties so perhaps this is a better route. More costly but will leave me with a decent DVD player for the bedroom, and less clutter in the lounge. Or perhaps sell the panny.

never ending this....

22. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Cheers Steve

Know what you mean - bought the DVd and amp just before Christmas along with a bag of spanners speaker set. Biggest bloody mistake ever - too excited with prospect of new toys, wouldn't care but spent ages on this and other forums, reading up on opinions and then going and blowing it anyway. GF went absolutely mental about it and has now told me to go and sort it out (within budget) so here i am. We are off to Amsterdam on 1st Feb for her birthday for a long weekend and am having to stump up the equivalent of what I spend on speakers for her to spend on shoes, or whatever, or it'll be a very long year together.

Mind you, might be good place to stock up on rare or unusual DVDs.....lol.

I think with the size of the room that a lot of these systems will suit me for films but again its the music capabilities that I think will have to be a priority. Thanks for keeping me informed as you are running them in - can't wait for the final verdict.:)

23. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which speaker set?!

just for reference... not so I can laught, honest. :p

24. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    You really don't want to know do you....can't bring myself to say it:
    Pioneer S-V50 (would say cheap and cheerful but there was nothing cheerful about the sound - i can tell you) Sub sounded like a beehive and it was not an earth problem.

We live and learn - and get laughed at for being iodiots.....:blush:

25. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well at least they look kinda nice:rolleyes:

26. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    If i only went on looks I wouldn't be with the GF - lol... Christ i hope she doesn't read this.......

i shouldn't really say anything on the Pioneers as I'm sure that the people that have bought them are perfectly happy but I don't think they do they job and really the player and amp are wasted on them. At least I now have a better idea or the direction I want to go in.:)

27. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if I had done more re-search and thought about what type of system I was building I probably wouldn't have bought the kit I have. The Panasonic DVD player is good with movies, no problems there. But not so good really as a CD player. And the amp is simply budget. Big bangs for small bucks and it does. But not much else. Ho hum... we learn from it all I guess.

keeps the bank manager on his toes.....

28. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Its not very often I'd buy something without investigating it fully but really screwed up with this one. My fault but as you say - we live and learn. Music side of the speakers should be interesting - theres a 10 year age difference between me and the GF - shes into 90s dance and I was a teenager of the eighties - all Phil Oakey hair and Duran Duran cuffs. So it will good to see how the speakers cope with that. See if you can demo them with some 300bpm hardcore dance and a bit of Kajagoogoo and see how they are.....:D

29. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kajagoogoo... yea i'll see if my grandad has some in his attic !! lol

only joking

yea, i'll try and give it a wirl for you. My GF has plenty of 80s music. Tried some dancy stuff last night and I think it would suit your GF. Positive bass thump and bright treble. Like I said, still waiting for the midrange to open up.

30. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Dont get me started on music today - just gone downhill since the 'legends' that were Nick Hayward and Nick Kershaw fell from the limelight. Be interesting to see how this pans out when you've run them in. How have you set them up on the amp? have you had any problems or it all go ok.