1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short Premiere or Canton cd-1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by blitzed, Aug 29, 2005.

1. blitzed

blitzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi,
    Looking to upgrade my panasonic sa-mt1 and will be used for mainly watching dvds listening to music very rarely.

I've already bought a Panasonic dmre65 and Panasonic viera th37pe30 and am about to buy a Yamaha 757se.

So I would like to know what speakers out of Mordaunt Short Premiere or the Canton cd-1 would be the best choice (maybe others of same budget?£250) Also would like to add 2 more speaker at another time for 7.1 or is this not worth doing

Any help appreciated
    eddie

2. blitzed

blitzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anyone?

3. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive never heard the Maurdant or however its spelt! Iv just bought the Canton CD1's and have to say im very impressed, but i have quite a small room anyway, they are great little speakers and you can get them on here for 240. I give them the thumbs up mate for sure.

4. bentleg

bentleg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I’ve got the mordant short premiere plus package from Peter Tyson and was blown away with the quality of sound and build of these little babies you will not be disappointed.
    For £250 you wont get better imo

5. blitzed

blitzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    cheers guys for your replies, So thats a positive mark for each is it just down to personal choice now?
    ed

6. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    one thing to note thought the 'premier plus' package mentioned is not £250, the 'premier' package is £250, both systems are the same apart from the different subs, premier plus package has the 309 sub and the premier has the 308 sub and from what ive read it really is well worth going for the plus package if your budget allows it.

i was thinking the same choices as you, i ended up going for the MS plus package from hificonfidential.co.uk for £380 + £20 del. the premier is £250 + £15 del. that was the cheapest i could find.
    i had decided on the premier but it was the sub reviews that swayed me to go the extra money for the subwoofer as i really wanted to avoid a boomy box.
    so my speakers should be here mon or tues and i cant wait.

7. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi mystic - let us know how you get on as i've been looking at the "plus" package too and that's a good price. I'm also considering the KEF eggs as they are now £499.

What did you have before?

Cheers
    KableMan

8. blitzed

blitzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

let me know what they sound like please also what amp are you going to be using

cheers
    ed

9. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi, up till now i have been using a sony davs880, all in one job, not too bad but not great, so now i have bought a pioneer 575 dvd player, yamaha 657 amp and the MS premier plus package, so im hoping this should be an enormous difference once i get it set up.
    ill let you know what i think but im not an expert and im just hoping ill be amazed and happy with my choices and get really good results.

10. mediahub

mediahub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently(ish - it was about 6 months ago now) bought the MS Premier Plus package after recommendations on these very forums and it was well worth the £480 I paid for them! Although I did get a sub cable and plenty of cable for the speakers lumped in with that...

It was my first really big (for me, anyway) spend on a single item of AV equipment and I'd do it again for the amazing sound I'm getting out of them. I've got them hooked up to the Yamaha AX750SE and it sounds gorgeous...some of my Chemical Brothers & Nine Inch Nails cd's sound totally different from what I was used to on my old system!

11. plop90

plop90
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The current prices for the premiere and the premiere plus are £249.99 + £14.99 Shipping, and £379.99 + £19.99 Shipping from Hi-Fi Confidential.
    Is the extra £145 outlay worth it for the better sub?

Also, I am thinking about the Denon SYSA3L speaker system - that is £230 from Peter Tyson. They also have the MS premiere for £299.99 inc Shipping, but it comes with a "free subwoofer interconnect" and 40m of QED micro speaker cable which sounds pretty good for £35 more than on hifi-confidential, although it might come with the subwoofer interconnect anyway.

Anyone with any opinions?