Mordaunt-Short Performance 9 experiences

Tambiman

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm still curious:
Anyone here with experience with this subwoofer? I find absolutely nothing on the net about it. (not a good sign i guess)

Technologically, it's a very interesting sub, but lack of reviews normally indicates that it hasn't been submitted to magazines/websites for review. The speakers from the same range have been popping up all over the world for instance.

I can only assume MS aren't too fussed about getting it exposure, or assume it's of too limited appeal to warrant the effort. Shame.

Russell

Technologically, it's a very interesting sub, but lack of reviews normally indicates that it hasn't been submitted to magazines/websites for review. The speakers from the same range have been popping up all over the world for instance.

I can only assume MS aren't too fussed about getting it exposure, or assume it's of too limited appeal to warrant the effort. Shame.

Russell

The P9 has not it must be said flown off the shelves in the UK. Its been reviewed by WHF and a number of overseas publications although usually as part of a multichannel system. WHF have 2 of them in their 7.2 system and like them.

I saw one at the WHF/Stuff show the other week. It was definitely belting out some low end bass. In fact, I liked it so much I considered it, until I searched the internet and saw how much it costs :eek:

Yes, I would like to see some tests. But for that price I could get 2 PB13U 's. Can 't imagine it would beat that.
BTW, am I wrong or does the P9 have 2 10"woofers? Sounds small for that pricerange. And can the performance of such small woofers be adecuate?

Is that WHF report downloadable?

Yes, I would like to see some tests. But for that price I could get 2 PB13U 's. Can 't imagine it would beat that.
BTW, am I wrong or does the P9 have 2 10"woofers? Sounds small for that pricerange. And can the performance of such small woofers be adecuate?

Is that WHF report downloadable?

I agree, you can get 2x PB13s for that and they will outperform.

I guess the real question is, if you had space for one sub, would the Perf 9 outperform the PB13 ?

It sounded great at the show but I haven't heard the PB13.

It does have two 10" subwoofers and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Two 10" drivers have the equivalent radiating area of one 14", but have the advantage of canceling each other's mechanical vibration when mounted in opposition.

Two drivers can give a smoother in room response. If there is a meaningful distance between them (like there is here), they will be interacting with the room at different points. As a result, their combined output could result in a naturally smoother response at the listening position.

The only aspect of the subs spec that on paper doesn't seem believable is the 14Hz bottom end claim, that is admittedly quoted without limits (-3dB, -6dB etc). I'm no expert, but I can't see how MS have squeezed a port capable of that tuning into a box that's external dimensions are 50cm on a side? Their own cut-away shows the port to be straight, so it just can't be long enough.

Audacious claims aside, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a very good sub. It would have to be, it's head to head with Velodyne DDs.

Russell

I 'm glad to say a shopkeeper in my neighbourhood wants to demo the Performance 9 in a couple of weeks.
He dissuaded the SVS-woofers because there appear to be lots of problems with the built-in 230V circuitry for European market. (Many defects, poor service - there 's only one importing company in Europe, and it 's located in Sweden. The communication with the rest of Europe seems to be a problem)

I'll keep you posted!

Hi guys,

still no real life experiences with the Performance 9 sub, yet?

I am very interested to hear from guys who have heared them, as I will not be able to demo one over here in Germany. I am unsure if I should pair my Performance 6 with this sub or go for a slightly cheaper alternative.

Best regards
D

Hi Dragon,

Had no demo of the MS Performance 9. But meanwhile I have a Velodyne DD15 installed to accompany my MS performace 6 speakers. It sounds great! Especially because of the built in equaliser.
BTW, the highgloss pianoblack of the V matches nicely with the darkgrey gloss of the MS. I would recommend it to anyone.

Hi,

well, the DD15 is not a cheap subwoofer, either.
Why didnt you consider the Performance 9?

Best regards
D

I have the 309i sub.For the money its more then enough, so you won't be disapointed, yes its sounds good, but bit subtle in explossion scenes when watching movies, for music its very good.

I got it for ÂŁ150 at RS only few months ago.

OK it may not be in the league of 'Rel',but it dose more then its job for the money you pay,you won't find anything better in its price range.

Problem is finding suitable sats/book shelfs to go with it?

If you look on the web, there has been test results for it along side other subs including BK XLS, KEF ETC.

Regards
Alien1x

Hi everybody,

still no real-life experiences with the Performance 9 sub?
I wonder if they have ever sold some of them, as there are virtually no reports on the internet at all.

Best regards!
D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom