1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt short impedance q

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Wubble, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Wubble

Wubble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant seem to find the answer to this question anywhere in the forums..

I have the premiere plus package hooked up to a yam dsp750. The amp has a switch to select 4 or 8 ohm speakers.
    The manual for the speakers say "4-8 ohms". Are they actually 4ohm speakers that can in effect be also used as 8ohm speakers? If thats the case, I assume it is best to have the amp set to the 4ohm position.. (afraid I am a bit new at this home cinema stuff!)

Ta
    W

2. IanMcc

IanMcc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wubble,

I am new to this Home Cinema game as well, and am glad to see that I am not the only person to be confused by this. I went onto the Mordaunt Short website and my Genies are quoted at 4- 8 Ohms!! This is ambiguous to say the least - I am finding the instructions on set-up from both MS and Yamaha preety poor, and I think they expect most people to already know what they are doing. I certainly do not!

I also have the Yamaha 750, and was also unsure where to set the switch you are talking about. However Tons of Fun who works for MS has been very helpful on another thread "Problem with MS Genie Package - Please Help!!". He advises to set the switch to 4 ohms, however I personally did not find it made any difference!

Hope this answers you question.

Ian

3. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hum,,,If you was to have only a 6 or 8 ohm setting which would you use then? ( as on my Pio814 ) :(

Cheers,,,

4. Wubble

Wubble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian

Appreciate the advise. I will leave it on 4 ohms just in case.

Have you set it up with a 7.1 or 5.1 setup?
    At the moment I have the 5.1 setup but was considering the 7.1 (if it made that much difference).

I havent even investigated the presence speakers for the front. no idea if they make much of a difference...?