• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mordaunt Short Genie 5.1 System - Any Good?

garymontague

Hi All,

I'm in the market for some speakers to go with my Sony ES5200 Receiver.

I have spoken to my local retailer and they recommended the Mordaunt Short Genie system.

I have not yet had time to go down there yet to audition them. Before I do can you recommend me some alternatives to audition as well and opinions on the Genie's.

My budget is around £1,000 and am looking for small style speakers as I need to please the wife as well!!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Gary

lazymatt

I've never liked the Genies. If you're looking at the £1,000 mark:

1) the SVS package (£400 for the 5.0 speakers, and you'd have to decide how much to spend on a sub)

2) Quad Lites (£1000 - although Sevenoaks are selling them cheaper at the moment)

3) and AE Aego T's (£650)

4) Mordaunt Short's new range (the name of which escape me for the moment) £650 I think.

all sub/sat packages that spring to mind.

PS the Genies should be about £400/£500 - don't pay any more

garymontague

I've never liked the Genies. If you're looking at the £1,000 mark:

1) the SVS package (£400 for the 5.0 speakers, and you'd have to decide how much to spend on a sub)

2) Quad Lites (£1000 - although Sevenoaks are selling them cheaper at the moment)

3) and AE Aego T's (£650)

4) Mordaunt Short's new range (the name of which escape me for the moment) £650 I think.

all sub/sat packages that spring to mind.

PS the Genies should be about £400/£500 - don't pay any more

Thanks Matt,

How about the Kef 3005's. Any experience of these?

Gary

lazymatt

Thanks Matt,

How about the Kef 3005's. Any experience of these?

Gary

Again, another set I've never liked much, however, the new versions have just been given a winning review in What HiFi (FWIW). So I would be interested in what they sound like myself.

I reckon they'd be a huge step up from the Genies, however.

russraff

When I was listening for a sub/sat system, I found the Quad L-ite and MA Radius ranges to be the best, in this price range. KEF 2xxx and 3xxx along with the B&W MTx0 speakers (insert whatever number you like) seemed to be a step down in quality. Even the PV1 sub in the top end B&W speaker system was a bit disappointing. The Quad and Radius range, though, performed very well, especially if you use the larger (but still stand-mount) Radius speakers with the RSW12 sub. These sat systems just sounded right - like larger speakers if you know what I mean?

One option I can't remember the sound of (though I have heard them) is the Tannoy Arenas. I seem to remember liking them, but this was some time before I listened to the other speakers so can't offer a comparison.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom