1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short Genie 409W Subwoofer Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bbasra, Dec 2, 2004.

1. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi There,

After using my subwoofer for a week or so, today my subwoofer cut out twice.

The bluelight on the front of the sub was still lit and the green light on the back was still lit too, however, there was no sound coming out of the sub.

So i turned the amp off and put it back on and it made no difference.

I then turned the sub off and put it back on and no difference, so i removed the power cable and put it back in and the sub came back on and all was fine and working again.

During watching a film, the sub then cut out again. This time i switched the sub off from the back and while i was doing that, the sub turned off fully and would not come back on. I checked the fuse, it was blown and it was a T1.6 AL 250V amp. I put the new fuse 2.5 A sent to me by Tons Of Fun and the sub powered back up, however, there was still no sound. I pulled the power cable out and put it back in and there was still no sound, however, the sub was powered on as the leds were lit. I then switched the notch filter setting on the back to the off postion and all was fine, and when i then switch the notch back to the on position, the sub would cut out again, however the leds were still lit. This did not seem right to me. I powered down the sub again and put it back on and all seems fine again. I then tried the notch to off again and back to on and it made no difference.

This does not seem right to me and does not make any sense what this is happening. The sub seems to be working again.

As tons of fun said, i left the sub setting to the on postion.

Please Help!

PS. TONS OF FUN, can you please send me another fuse just in case this one blows.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    I can send another fuse but I doubt that the 2.5 in there will blow. There may be an issue in the notch filter circuit which needs to be looked at. As ever if you are in doubt, swap the unit over.

The only other (remote) possibility is the three position switch is in the auto on position which may be causing the unit to behave oddly with an intermittant signal.

3. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem...

I'm really not happy with this situation actually - I have just undertaken a £1,500 home install and will be pretty angry if the entire quality of the Genie system is questioned...

:( :( :(

Tons of Fun, any ideas mate, really need the Sub back in action for Xmas...

Santy

4. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi Santy,

You will have to get the sub changed for a new one as the sub is faulty, just like my old one was. Also Tons of fun is now on vacation too, not sure if he will be replying too.

I had spoken to Tuns of Fun who was excellent in sorting out an exchange sub for me and it was brand new, not a recon. He was also rather intrested in getting my faulty one to check it out and see whats wrong with it too.

My new one seems to be fine, however, i only just set the notch filter today after using it for a week without it on and time will tell if its okay. Going to belgium for two days now, so wont get to test it.

My advice to you is that it needs to be swaped for a new one, arrange that as soon as possible so that you get it back before xmas..... i would hate to have xmas subless!
    If it bought from Richer Sounds, they should swap it without any issue.

Please let us know how you get on.

5. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks buddy :smashin:

Taking it back to Richer Sounds tomorrow evening so hopefully it will get sorted.

I am well impressed with MS but this failure has knocked my confidence in them a little.

My previous speakers (TDL RTL) are 6 years old and sound better now than they did when new. I hope the 409 failure is not indicative of the future reliability of the sub & satallite's - almost think I have bought a bit of a lemon at the moment.

Just out of interest buddy, what was the diagnosed problem with your 409 - just so that I am able to give them some pointers, or did they simply switch the unit there and then for you?

Thanks in advance,

Santy

6. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I dont know the diagnosed problem yet as Tons of Fun has not got back to me..... not sure if he has even received the faulty sub yet.

To be honest, this failure has also knocked my confidence in them too. Scared my new one may break too.... and also scared to crank it up just in case something happens to it..... last time i played Blade 2 and this problem occured, have not played it with my new one yet.

Tons of Fun done me a big favour and arranged business post to collect the sub from Richer Sounds and delivery it to my work address as i really did not have time to do an exchange so i did not have any meeting with Richer Sounds directly.... but i dont think they will say anything... best thing to do is call them first, tell them the situation and see if they have one in stock for a exchange, save you time just in case they dont have any in stock.

@ Tons of Fun. maybe you should also get hold of this sub too and have a look at it ... could be a bad batch as they were both bought from Richer Sounds... never know.

Good Luck.... i know what it feels like to be Sub-Less!

7. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no offence intended here, but it does seem like an awful lot of people have been having issues with their MS subs since the 309 came out - I guess that says something about the number of units they've been shifting!

Shame that something as simple as the wrong fuse can cause so much hassle - sincerely hope you get your problem sorted soon

8. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

Yes it is unfortunate that the MS Genie Sub is causing so many problems as the package is well engineered, looks superb and sounds fantastic (until you lose the Sub that it)...

In defence of Richer Sounds - what a refreshing change. John from technical support has been on the phone 3 times today offering lots of different solutions. Sub is in the car ready to take to Stockport Store this pm, if they can't resolve the problem there and then, an exchange unit is guaranteed to be with me on Thu am.

You can't ask for better service than that, I would seriously recommend Richer Sounds (and AV Sales) to anyone out there 'pondering' over where to buy from.

Fingers crossed I get the problem resolved this pm. Richer S are also going to check the Serial Numbers on the units that have had the problem to provide assurances to future MS customers that the batch of dodgy Subs have been tracked down...

I will post again once I get any news.

Thanks again guys for your supporting posts...

Santy

9. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Santy,

I very much doubt that they will be able to fix it. You can tell him that i also had the same problem and was retuned to RS in Reading. I think the problem is with the Notch Filter Circuit Board.... well in my case.

Just hope my new is fine as that is also again from RS and could be from the same batch.

Tons of Fun, can you please let us know if you have recived my faulty sub back and let us know what was wrong with it.

Thanks

10. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think tons is off on an extended holiday now - probably worth contacting MS direct for the moment

11. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bbasra

You were right buddy, not sure what had failed but it had given up the ghost, they replaced a hidden fuse (located just under a plastic flap on the AC in socket - doh! should have spotted this really) but still no joy.

Richer Sounds (Big thanks to John in head office support) had this covered though and pre-ordered a swap unit for delivery today (Thu 23.12.04) just in case the new fuse didn't make any difference to the unit not working.

This has now landed and I was advised to put the fuse supplied by Richer Sounds into the new Sub before I even use it. I am not technical but the chap at Richer Sounds said that the fuse is more resilient to blowing than those previously supplied (he alluded that it was not simply a case of a higher amp fuse, different type)?

It does look different to the fuse that 'Tons of Fun' kindly supplied to me a few weeks ago (that was an 'RS Components' fuse with "RS" written on it, this one isn't and the guy at Richer Sounds said that the fuses had DEFINATELY been supplied to them by MS - so it must be a common problem that is 'hopefully' resolved by the new fuse?).

Anyway, unit has landed apparently and I am well pleased with the Service from Richer Sounds. Fingers crossed that this is ok and doesn't fail again as the Genie set-up is pretty lack lustre minus some good old gutsy Bass...

Thanks for all your support guys. I hope I don't have to post any further on my sub (with any luck)...

Santy

12. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am VERY unhappy right now. I bought the Genie package about 6 weeks ago, after reading the what hifi review. Hmm. Had initial problems with satellites in that three of the five had paint chips. Returned to store and went through about 6 boxes with shop assistant to find three unmarked replacements. Now the sub has suddenly stopped working. Fine yesterday, then for no reason at all its completely dead today. Volume has never been cranked up. Replacement plug fuse not resolved issue. Calling the support telephone number for Mordaunt Short is proving useless, just getting a recorded message that Ed Selley is now on annual leave until 4/1/05! Is this TonsOfFun?? Does this mean the Mordaunt Short support team is a one-man-band? I have a party on Christmas Eve and music is a must. After telling everyone about my Genie package Im gonna look like a right nana now with a BASSLESS SYSTEM. And no support until 4/1/05!!
    There are serious question marks in my head right now about the build quality of this product. If this is a common fault, occurring a month or two after the purchase date, how much testing has gone into the Genie package? What can we expect a year down the line? I am hoping that the Genie Package is for life, and not just for christmas. Not that that is going to help my Christmas Eve bash.....
    Will post back with updates on my progress.

13. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    James, Tons of Fun is Ed from MS Tech Support and is very helpfully, unfortunately for us, he is vacation.

There does seem to be more going faulty, but hopefully we wont see this thread growing.

Have you checked the fuse properly.... this normally is the main cause... also check the fuse in the power cord plug as well if there is one in there.

Does the power LED on the front or back light up at all?

Where did you buy it from, may be best if you take it back to get it exchanged for another one, also may be worth while printing this tread out and showing it to them.

Only MS can comment on the testing of this system, however, i'm sure MS will sort these issues out.

Could be just a faulty batch or something.

14. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your post Bbasra. Yes fingers crossed this issue will be resolved by MS. Incidentally, are you referring to the plug fuse, or the internal fuse. I have replaced the plug fuse, but think there is also a fuse within the sub. Is this right?

15. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    yes there is a internal fuse, which is most likely your problem. Where the Power cord plugs into the sub, there is a fuse just underneath it, slide it out and check the fuse. Remove that fuse and replace it. the first batch was shipped with the wrong fuse which blew very quickly.

There is a thread in the forum somewhere about this.

The first batch was shipped with a 1.6A rating fuse, this needs to be replaced with a 2.5A.

See this thread -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164458&referrerid=43394

Tons of fun would have shipped this out for you if h was not a vaction, but i'm sure you can get this from Maplins which are open today.

16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    With the greatest of respect, I do reserve the right to leave the office periodically- in fact one of the reasons that this period off is quite long is because I have been unable to take much time off in 2004. I am not a one man band but with CES (the largest hifi show on the planet) in early January, much of the company does take some time off in this period because we won't have the chance in the coming weeks. I would have hoped that your dealer could have been a "first line" of support in this rather busy time of year but I apologise if this has not been the case. Please remember that we are only human and need a break like everybody else.
    Ed

17. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I totally agree ,yes your sub 's might be broke but it's not Ton's fault.You should take them back to the shop first.Ton's is not a quick way in through the back door and its good of him to even come on here to sort your problems out, he doesn't have too.
    Enjoy the rest of your holiday Ton's and forget about work.

18. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offense Bob1 but if you had read the history correctly you would see I hadnt used this forum as "a quick way in through the back door". Nor was I blaming TonsOfFun for the fault (unless he has super powers and used his photon deathray to interfere with my Sub over vast distances as a warning to me not to hold parties over the christmas period - loool). I was using the forum to get information AS A LAST RESORT and diagnose the fault myself. It was impossible to get to the shop before the arranged party. I phoned them, but they have only sold a couple of these units and as yet havent come across this problem. Common sense should tell you that EVERY company has a Customer Support department whose purpose is to (believe it or not) help customers with problems. Again, I would suggest rereeading the previous posts, maybe then you will see Im not having a go at TonsOfFun, rather asking the question "is there only one person in the support team at Mordaunt Short, and if this was so, why was there no cover whilst TonsOfFun was on holiday? Getting somebody's voice mail when calling the customer support number implies to me that only that person is responsible for the support. I would certainly not begrudge the guy a holiday, but I am an It engineer and cannot have time off unless my company provides cover. This is to deal with problems arising whilst I am off and as far as I am aware is common practice. I dont think its asking too much for Mordaunt Short to provide cover do you? I find it worrying that the entire support hinges on TonsOfFun, as much for his sake as the customers. Im sorry if I sound selfish, but with a christmas party the following day my only concern was trying to ensure everything ran as smoothly as possible, and having my sub suddenly pack in with no support was frustrating to say the least.

TonsOfFun Im sure you realised that at no point was I having a go at you personally. I didnt even know if you and Ed were one and the same. My questions were legitimate and I believe, justified. I notice you have defended your holiday (quite rightly), but have said nothing of the problems I posted. Im not bothered, but just thought Id mention it.

Bob1 if youve nothing constructive to say, button it next time. I dont appreciate being told off when I have done nothing more than ask a question.

19. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I wasn't having a go at you i was merly sticking up for Tons,youv'e got to see it from his side ,he wasn't too pleased with the comments himself.

20. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Right. Thats clear for everyone then. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can see the problem here from more than one side. :lesson:
    That said and hoping the problem is a bad batch (whatever that means), can someone please tell me how the genies perform (when working). I had hoped to buy some soon for a room aprox 13ftx18ft for movies 85% music 15%.
    :offtopic: Also I have seen pictures elsewhere here where the fronts are mounted quite close together. I think I read somewhere that fronts should be as far apart from each other as to the listening position (aprox 11ft in my case).
    I was hoping to use the new Onkyo THX select amp, which brings me to the rears (this is where i am hopelessly lost). I cant position dipoles to the side of the listening position (hence looking at genies) so where is the best position for rears. I could go from 13ft apart down to 6ft on the rear wall. Also has anyone tested this amp? Will I get any benefit from THX due to my room layout,or is there another highly recommended for less than a grand :eek: I appreciate THX is a quality control thing...
    I know I have asked a lot here and was going to start a new thread but thankfully found this one. Many thanks for any advice :thumbsup:
    I am new to the site and have to say it has been a godsend for technophobes like me who leech off other peoples hard work and dedication :laugh:

21. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hello ManGina the best place to look if you haven't allready done so is on the dolby site(CLICK ME) for speaker placement.The best thing to do is try different locations and go for what sounds good to you.
    I would also start another thread you might get more replies.

22. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sure he's a big boy and can stick up for himself. As for coming into the forums to help people out, yes I admit thats good of him, its also good business practice, he has in a way been advertising and stoking peoples interest in the Genies. Its partly because of his comments on this forum that I bought them.
    Even though I wasnt having a go at him, if somebody buys a product on somebody elses advice, and then a common fault is discovered its human nature to be miffed with the person giving the advice, especially if they are in a position of power. Eg you buy a car because of the car salesmans boast about how reliable it is, and then it breaks down on your way home from the garage. You aint gonna be best pleased.

23. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I can understand you being upset anyone would be.
    Anyway whats the postion with the sub did you get something sorted out in the end.

24. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jesus guys, calm down on the MS-Sub front!!!

Tons, thanks for the fuses buddy :thumbsup: and when my sub blew I took it back to R.Sounds, got an exchange unit in 2 days and now perfect...

Nice to be able to get an opinion from Tons, but he's doing everyone a favour even answering queries on here...

MS & RS were fabulous by the way in the exchange (Cheers John @ RS Head Office, London) and the MS set-up is awesome again with my Denon AVR-3805 & Panasonic P7 Plasma...

Happy days, and happy new year to ya all...

Santy :)

25. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheers bob1 :thumbsup:
    So how do they sound when working?? :confused:
    Anyone... :lease:

26. BillHicksRIP

BillHicksRIP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another one here. Tons of Fun - please empty your Inbox so I
    can PM you.

Many thanks.

27. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    The box now has space in it. Please remember y'all to put the mailing address in the first message as it keeps the overall number of messages down!

28. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ManGina

I've got the Genies partnered with a Yamaha 750se amp. To my (admittedly uneducated) ear they sound fantastic for music, but especially for movies. Two house guests over Christmas are now being especially nice to their wives to be aloud to buy the same combo.

I have the fronts approx 25cm away from the screen (42" plasma) and the rears are side wall mounted at 180cm high and approx 3m away either side. I have to boost the levels to compensate, but still get the detail without overpowering the rest of the system.

They do take a good 100 hours to loosen up, and mine are still improving as most of the time volume is quite low owing to kids and fragile grandaparents over christmas.

I've not heard the Onkyo, but I'd say that you are paying a lot for the THX licence, and when paired with a sub/sat package you probably won't get much benefit from it, try to get a demo with various amps on the Genies and make sure they complement each other.

Cheers

Ian

29. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Ian
    Thanks v much :thumbsup:
    Appreciate your thoughts and opinions and useful to know your setup stats(is that 3m each ie 6m between the 2 rears?).Taking a wild guess your room is about 6m x4m? Do they cope with the size ok?
    Thanks again. I was beginning to think only the telly guys help each other out.. :devil:
    Jason

30. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason - try this link - if it doesn't work than do a search on the word 'sanity' in the speaker forum. It's the thread from when I was checking on speaker position.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166175&highlight=sanity

The speakers cope very well with the room size, our house is very well sound insulated which might help reduce reflections etc. In an ideal world I'd have gone for floor standers, but kids, dogs and a gadget challenged wife saw to that plan, but I'm more than happy with the Genies.

Ian