1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt-Short: Difference between Avant & 900 Series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iMac UK, Nov 4, 2004.

1. iMac UK

iMac UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know the difference between the Mordaunt-Short Avant 900 series and the plain old Mordaunt-Short 900 series?

I bought some of these speakers a while ago from a well known high street retailer. They were (and still are) advertised as the Avant series. At the time I didn't know about the non-Avant series and so didn't think to check. But only now I have realised they are in fact from the older series. doh!

As far as I can tell (and being completely ignorant, remember) the only difference is physical - as the Avants are slighty smaller. Price wise they are about the same and that's why I'm annoyed as it seems they have pulled a fast one on me! :mad:

Is it worth the hassle me taking them back and complaining or is it just a cosmetic difference? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There is a different design for the cabnet and a change to the drivers. The Avant Drivers have ribbed cones and the 900 have smooth cones.

The prices are identical, and there is only a slight difference in the sound.

However, the avant series still uses the 900 codes. I.e 902,904,906,908
    And the new 914's still uses the original beveled cabnet. So you could well have have the avant's. It Should state which model you have on the back of the speakers and on the box. The original versions were called the decloration series on the boxes.

Also check your receipt as it will state which you were charged for.

3. iMac UK

iMac UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

It turns out I have a full set of 'Decloration' speakers, rather than the Avants I thought I had. Oh well, not too fussed. At least I don't have a mix, which I could have quite easily ended up with.