1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt-Short crossover frequency?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sly Fly, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    I've read a few threads on here with regard to crossover frequencies, but it I haven't as yet found a definitive answer. I'm hoping that someone out there (or Tons of Fun as I'm hoping he's picked up on this thread ;) ) can answer me something in laymans terms...

Recently purchased the MS Premiere package. Bloody good speakers. :thumbsup: With regard to the sub/sat crossover - and seeing that it's my first venture into Home Cinema - I have no frame of reference to know if I've set it up 100% correct. Everything sounds good, but I just want to be sure on something...

The frequency range on the satellites is 100Hz - 20kHz.
    The frequency range on the subwoofer is 35Hz - 150Hz.

1) The default sub crossover setting on my Denon 1905 amp is 80Hz, so would I be absolutely correct in saying that the sub would only produce sounds below 80hz and that then I would have a hole in the 80-100Hz range (i.e. 100Hz being where the satellites pick up from)? If this is the case then why don't MShort say in the user guide that the crossover MUST be at least 100Hz? (I'm guessing I've assumed something I haven't)

2) Supposing I set the crossover on the amp to 100Hz, I may as well then set the crossover on the subwoofer to it's max setting as it's overruled by the amp

3) I've set the crossover on the amp to it's lowest (40Hz) and highest (250Hz) settings and can't really tell the difference in bass output. Admittedly, I only had a very quick test - but is there a decent test out there I can perform to properly calibrate my crossover?

Cheers, as always, for any advice! :smashin:

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Is the crossover fixed at 100hz? If so there might be a fractional hole in the response. If you can ease the crossover up to 90-100hz it will work slightly better but there will not be much of an audible hole in your performance as MS are ultra conservative in our frequency responses and the 302/4 will continue to work to 80hz and slightly below.

Can't remember what the manual says exactly but we stress that you should play around until you are happy.

3. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    It's not fixed. The crossover on the Denon 1905 goes in increments of 20Hz starting from 40Hz up to 250 Hz, so I could have the crossover set at 80, 100, or 120Hz on the amp itself.

Indeed the manual (and just about everywhere else I have read) did stress that some playing about was necessary. I just wondered if there was some hard and fast rules I could apply.

One thing I didn't understand in your last post though:

Did you mean "...fixed at 80Hz?"

Cheers for the response! :cool:

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Some amps (thankfully less and less of them) had a fixed crossover that meant they were pigs to use. Marantz's SR4200/4300 had fixed 100hz crossovers that were a bit of a pain.