1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short choice dilemma

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Goofy, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having read this forum for a couple of months, I am still at the early stage of deciding on a system, though it will most likely consist of a Panny 7, Yamaha 750, Sony 955.
    As the room I am converting to a mini-loung/cinema is not very big (3.8m x 2.5m), I am currently undecided between the MS Avant Premier Plus system or using MS 902 (x4), MS304 centre and MS309 subwoofer.

The 902s are physically bigger and should give a fuller sound, whilst the Avant Premier Plus speakers are a newer design.

I would be grateful to know whether anybody has experienced both systems or in particular the 902-based combination (the Premier Plus’s have been positively reported on). Thanks.

2. Peter Kendrick

Peter Kendrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Yamaha 750 amplifier hooked up to MS Premier Plus and it is fantastic. The speakers are from www.hificonfidential.co.uk for £399 delivered.

3. bluebearuk

bluebearuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at that package but was a bit concerned that the package shown on the site shows the 308 subwoofer.

Is it definitely the 309 you get?

Cheers

4. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    The Premiere system comes with MS308 Subwoofer, the Premiere Plus system comes with the MS309.

Adam.

5. bluebearuk

bluebearuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it is the premiere plus that comes with the the 309, but the site shows the Premier package, but the description is for the the plus system.

http://www.hificonfidential.co.uk/moreinfo.cfm?id=1160

It just seems a bit strange to me, I don't want to end up with the wrong sub

Thanks

6. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Maybe worth phoning the guy, when I phoned he was very grumpy and said the items were not in stock and he did.nt know when they would be, also Richersounds got a similar reply when they tried to price match Hificon, but if they are in stock and at that price get R/S to pricematch and you can walk out of there shops with the items, thus makeing sure you get the 309 sub ;)

k,beez

7. bluebearuk

bluebearuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, will give that a go today

Cheers again

8. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had both setups so here goes:

I had the 308 sub with my Premieres. Whilst the top and bottom end of the sound were very good, they did lack midrange, like any other satellite system. Very good though if you're on a budget.

I then changed my fronts to the Avant 904 floorstanders, temporarily keeping the 304 centre. Big improvement at the mains. Much fuller, stronger midrange, well, better all round. Only difference to the 902 and 904 is that the 904 is a floorstander.

It was then obvious that the 304 centre was letting it down, so I changed to the 905c. HUGE improvement. Excellent strong dialogue. Absolute steal at £120!

I then decided my 904s werent quite bassy enough so took them back to richer sounds and upgraded to the 906s... but that's another story.

So, my advice is:
    If you are wanting a nice full sound with stronge midrange, the 902s should be ok. They will be far superior to the 302 where midrange is concerned. If you do decide on the 902s, you definately want the larger 905 centre to match.

In an ideal world, the 904/906 floorstanders would perfect, but it's obviously more expense :(

What you could do is get the 902s for now, save for the 906, then move the 902s to the back :thumbsup:

The only way I managed to afford the full setup, was to upgrade gradually as said above. The end result though is excellent!

Let us know what you decide on :smashin:

9. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    You def want the 309 sub as this is far better than the 308 although to be honest i think i would be tempted to try the 902 system.

10. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I totally agree. The 309 or something similar will work great with any of these speakers. Don't be tempted to save your money and buy anything cheaper than the 309.

I decided on the BK XLS200 which I think is great. The 309 will also do the job very well.

11. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks gentlemen (espescially GFS AV) for the very helpful comments. I think I will go for the 902/905/309 setup. Sadly this will be a couple of months off yet, as I am working my way through the house - refurbishing etc. Home Cinema is the last and most desirable item on the agenda! Atleast I have a lot of looking forward to do and slavering over other people's kit/experience on this forum! Thanks again.

12. Peter Kendrick

Peter Kendrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Blue Bear........It is the 309 subwoofer that I got from Hificonfidential for £399 delivered. They will confirm with you when you order.

13. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know how the MS premier plus package would stack up against the Canton CD series?

14. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    Pop a search in for this one- there are literally dozens of posts on it. The split is pretty even although with some of the import deals on the Canton's at the moment, I suspect many people on the forum are going for the latter..... curse them :laugh:.

15. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Also if your gonna go for the 902 option how about the 903s at the back (think tons would agree? wouldn't you?)

16. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs. By the way mate i've just bought the latest What Hifi mag, and the Richer Sounds ad in there has the 902s down at just £99. You wont find them cheaper than this, I would try and get them while you can. Just make sure you take the ad with you otherwise they will try and slap you for the full in-store price. That's one of the things I detest about Richer Sounds. When they know you've got a good price on something, or a price match, they give the impression they are reluctant to make the sale! Well, they do at my local branch anyway.

17. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does sound a good offer for the 902s. When I was browsing HiFibitz - the full MS range, they showed the 903 bi-polar rears - so then I added up all the bits and got it to £650 - and then I remembered that on a German retailer's web-page they showed the MS Genies for £650 + delivery - which seemed an excellent offer. The problem with choice is the agony of making up your mind. I wonder which system "Tons" thinks is better - the 902/903/905c +309Sub - or the Genies. Life is never simple!

18. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No satellite system will ever produce a midrange like a full size system. Satellite systems are aimed at people with limited space. As I said earlier, I have had both satellite and full size, and can guarantee the 902 setup will be far superior. I have not heard the Genie system, so I can't comment on them, but how much better than the Premiere's can they 'really' be?

19. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Though ive not heard the genie system i have to agree the 900 series must be better still stand by the 903 at the back though

20. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, the 903s at the back will be excellent for effects. If however, you listen to a lot of multichannel music, the 902 will be more ideal.

21. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    AV-land have the MS309 sub at £229.95 - I assume this is a very good price ?

22. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

£229 is pretty good but maybe this beats it just ? ( petertyson)

Mordaunt Short MS309 Avant Subwoofer - free delivery & Interconnect
    £ 215.90

You will have to make your mind up who will give a better service ;)

23. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    From a company perspective both of these retailers are excellent so no help there.

24. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tons, quick question please ( seeing this IS a M/S thread )

Got a 309, 304 and 2 302's at the front ,and looking to put a pair of 903's at the rear,, Is this a good decision or not ?,or should i just put a second pair of 302's at the rear ?

Movies are my main viewing with occasional MTV type of viewing,

Thanks for any advice,

25. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    The 903 is the same size driver so the tonal balance is identical. Of course this will mean that the rears cost more than the fronts but mine used to as well so what the hey.

26. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the advice, going to go ahead with the 903's at the rear, hopefully they will be in stock tomorrow at R/S Preston ;) as they promised.

You recon the best place to site them is on the side walls just above the head level and just to the front of the listening position ?

Cheers once again for any advice,,

27. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    Just above head height, parallel with listening position seems to work well but as ever experiment :thumbsup:.

28. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    AV Land are also selling the MS409 for £229 :eek: bargain :eek:

29. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Did you go for 904/ 905/ 903/ 309 in the end?

30. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have not bought anything yet - though I am leaning towards a 902/903/905/309 combination. As I won't have a plasma screen yet for a couple of months, I would have to use them with my venerable 29"Sony CRT - or keep the speakers in storage at home (for fear of losing that all important WOW-factor, when you put an entire new system into operation ie. Plasma, DVD player, amplifier, speakers - slaver, slaver slaver.....). It is funny, starting a Thread, I almost get paternal feelings for it - must be cracking up?!