Mordaunt short centres Mezzo5 v Aviano5 ?

mellis

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need a decent centre speaker and would really appreciate your advice.

Currently i have a Marantz Nr1501 av amp, 2 Kef iQ5's floorstanders and 2 tannoy rears that were part of a 5.1 system. I'm looking at the Mezzo v Avanti but am open to ady advice. I would really rather not have a sub so am looking for speakers that can cope with some degree of mid/bass.

Many thanks

Are you keeping the kefs as fronts? You should really have the same range all across your front three, if not the exact range at least the same manufacturer. This is to ensure the soundstage is consistent as sounds moves across the front three speakers. As such you'd be best looking at Kef centres, unless you were looking at mordaunt short for new fronts as well.

I wasn't planning on changing the kef's. Does it really make a difference? The Kef iq60c looks quite good but is £350 cf £200. Did hear the Kef'#s though and sounded good.

Some people have a mixture and are happy, but most people on here would advise against it. For me surround sound is at it's best when sounds are panning across screen, that is when you notice it the most. If you have different speakers across the front soundstage you may not get a smooth movement of sound.

You may be happy buying a MS speaker, but equally you could find it very annoying once in place. Hard to tell without trying one in your system. An av system costs a lot once you factor in 5 speakers, subwoofer, amp etc etc. You don't want to spend all that money and then not be happy with the sound.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom