1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short built in subs + extra

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by woodrangle, Aug 2, 2005.

1. woodrangle

woodrangle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I am using the Mordaunt Short 500 series THX system with a Pioneer VSX-D912 Amp and a Pioneer 565 dvd player. The front speakers (502's) both have 10" subs in them. I think they normally work pretty well to deliver the bass needed for loud films.

However, I was wondering what you thought on adding another sub to the system, namely the Mordaunt Short 309W. The system is being used in a large room at the moment which means everything needs to be turned up that bit louder. I was wondering whether this would ease the strain placed on the front speakers as I find they tend to distort when pushed quite hard.

If I was to go ahead with this extra sub I think there may be wiring complications as the amp has no extra sub connections, and am not even sure if its possible to wire it all up.

Any ideas are appreciated.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Connecting wouldn't be hard- you could take a line out from either of the 502's into the 309 and away you go. I am not honestly sure that it will make much difference however- you'd simply be adding another very similar sub to the ones you have with very similar performance characteristics. Adding a 909 might be worth it but you'd really have to check what would happen in your room. At shows we used to run the 502 subs quite gently with the 909 at the back working to kill any standing waves and give people a good show :).