Mordaunt-Short Avant MS906I Questions

MrSweet1991

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Denon AVR-X1100W hooked up to the Mordaunt-Short MS905I Centre and Mordaunt-Short Avant MS906I front speakers, Paradigm PS1000 Subwoofer and some rubbish rear speakers.

Anyway, I hooked the MS906's up and utilised the Bi-Amp capability so the HF is wired to the front channels and the LF is wired to the back speakers which would normally be used for a 7.1 setup and then changed the Amp mode to Bi-Amp.

However, I don't know whether I set my expections too high but they don't really sound amazing to me.. The MS905I centre is phenomenal, I absolutely love the clarity in the dialogue, the paradigm sub booms the house but the 906's...

first off the tweeters sound out high pitch noises which is fine, the middle driver has the usual sounds as expected albeit a bit flat maybe? and the bottom drivers on both sides sound quite, but way too quite?.. Like is that normal, does each driver have a different frequency or is there something wrong? The chap did tell me that one of the drivers on the bottom will need replacing but putting that aside both bottom drivers sound the same.

If anyone else knows as well, the Tweeter on the top of one of the MS906's has a dent in the dome, still sounds fine and then on the other speaker the bottom driver needs replacing so I was wondering whether the MS905 speaker has the same driver and Tweeter that the ms906 uses? Kills two birds with one stone that way.

Hi All,

I have a Denon AVR-X1100W hooked up to the Mordaunt-Short MS905I Centre and Mordaunt-Short Avant MS906I front speakers, Paradigm PS1000 Subwoofer and some rubbish rear speakers.

Anyway, I hooked the MS906's up and utilised the Bi-Amp capability so the HF is wired to the front channels and the LF is wired to the back speakers which would normally be used for a 7.1 setup and then changed the Amp mode to Bi-Amp.

However, I don't know whether I set my expections too high but they don't really sound amazing to me.. The MS905I centre is phenomenal, I absolutely love the clarity in the dialogue, the paradigm sub booms the house but the 906's...

first off the tweeters sound out high pitch noises which is fine, the middle driver has the usual sounds as expected albeit a bit flat maybe? and the bottom drivers on both sides sound quite, but way too quite?.. Like is that normal, does each driver have a different frequency or is there something wrong? The chap did tell me that one of the drivers on the bottom will need replacing but putting that aside both bottom drivers sound the same.

If anyone else knows as well, the Tweeter on the top of one of the MS906's has a dent in the dome, still sounds fine and then on the other speaker the bottom driver needs replacing so I was wondering whether the MS905 speaker has the same driver and Tweeter that the ms906 uses? Kills two birds with one stone that way.
Hi i know its been awhile but are you still looking for a reply

Hi i know its been awhile but are you still looking for a reply
Hi mate,

I disconnected the other speakers and found that the 906's where making next to no sound, very quite and distorted maybe? I changed a setting on the amp and they kicked into life, I'm not sure whether the Bi-amp from the Denon never enabled correctly resulting in only one half being powered but I really liked the setup afterwards.

However I'm contemplating doing an upgrade soon so Ill make a post about that separately. )

Hi extremely late bump, but I've found myself with a pair of these speakers that were given to me. Might sound stupid as I'm clueless with this stuff but can you use these with your TV as surround sound or is it just for use with an amp/radio etc for music?

Hi extremely late bump, but I've found myself with a pair of these speakers that were given to me. Might sound stupid as I'm clueless with this stuff but can you use these with your TV as surround sound or is it just for use with an amp/radio etc for music?
I don't know why I was notified about this question, but I was so I might aswell answer.
Yes you can use these speakers for your tv to make it sound better or to listen to music. These are passive speakers meaning you need something additional to make the speaker work. They can't work on its own.

You would need An amp which will take an input from the tv and amplify the signal and then send it into the speakers. Without some sort of amp you can't use the speakers.

Types of amps, stereo amp which is a 2 channel amp left and right channel.

Then you have surround sound amps which have multiple channels to have a surround sound setup. Look at youtube learn what you want. Then buy it with some speaker wire and a way of connecting you tv or music to it and your good to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom