• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MORDAUNT SHORT AVANT 916i OR KEF IQ5SE SPEAKERS

Trevor spencer

Established Member
Hi

im looking into getting some new front speakers and im interested in the

Kef iq5se or Ms 916i and would like to know if anyones had any experence with these speakers and what they think of them

Thanks

Phideaux

Standard Member
Hi

im looking into getting some new front speakers and im interested in the

Kef iq5se or Ms 916i and would like to know if anyones had any experence with these speakers and what they think of them

Thanks

I'd be interested in knowing this too, if anyone has given some thought to this and compared the two makes/models since the original post.

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
The Mordaunt Shorts will probably give you a fuller sound, but not quite the detail on offer from the KEF's - I think it'll depend on the type of music you listen to. I just can't believe dealers have iQ5se's left - we were selling them like hotcakes and ran out at the end of last year!! If we'd have been able to have all the iQ5se's, they'd have all gone by the end of January, so think yourself lucky we didn't, otherwise you wouldn't them as an option now! :)

Personally, I'd go for the Kef's.

Phideaux

Standard Member
The Mordaunt Shorts will probably give you a fuller sound, but not quite the detail on offer from the KEF's - I think it'll depend on the type of music you listen to...

Personally, I'd go for the Kef's.

I've currently got a AV setup based on the Onyko 605 with Bose Acoustimas 5 series III in front and a pair of Kef 2005.2 eggs as rears. I'm looking for a pair of relatively inexpensive but reasonable quality discounted or S/H floorstanders (hence the previous model Mordaunt Short or Kef) that will do me to replace the Bose until I've put enough £££ aside for a 5.1 system which I was thinking about building based on a pair of the Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6's.

So once I have the 'temporary' floorstanders I'll also want to buy suitable S/H centre and subwoofer, which I will upgrade when I've moved up to the Mezzo 6's. The advice I've been given is don't mix makes for the front and centres but choose the floorstanders that I plan to end up with and plan for those.

Also the Kef iQ5se look like going for £395 new and around £200-250 used. The Avant 916i are £299 new and ??? used.

I realise that this seems like a laborious way to go about building a 5.1 system, but having just moved house I can't really afford to splashout on £1,750 (or thereabouts) all in one go.

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
iQ5se's £395? you can get the iQ50 for £495! And the fact that iQ5se's were that price before they were discontinued about a year ago explains why some retailers have them left :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom